Home canning question

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by gardentoad, Jul 22, 2010.

1. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

I pressure canned some pints of vegetable soup. Some of the liquid seeped out of all of the jars but only one didn't seal. The liquid is now at the shoulder of the jars, about a half inch lower than I wanted it. Some of the floating veggies are now above the liquid.

Will these jars be okay to store on a shelf with the extra air space? Not including the one that didn't seal.

I think the reason for the leakage is that I had the stove too high and I turned it down too much and had to turn it back up so the pressure fluctuated. I processed them for 1 hour. The soup is a tomato based broth with small chunks of tomatoes, potatoes corn, zucchini and herbs. I added some vinegar to increase the acidity and a bit of sugar to counter the vinegar.

2. Loading...

3. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

HI, I've not canned soups before. The same thing happened with some bread and butter pickles a few years back and they were fine. The cucumbers that were above the Juice line had discolored and were not as crispy. But other than that the rest were eaten and no ill effects.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Every year I have a few jars of tomatoes that will lose liquid like that. The reasons are many. As long as the seal is good they should be fine. But with mine I always use them for something that requires boiling at least 10 minutes just to be safe. As long as you boil at least that long they should be fine to use. I would try to use those jars first. I always freeze my soup mixes like that because they are difficult to do without the floating veggies.

5. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

Thanks for the replies. :-D
    I'll use the low level jars first.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t forget to check the seal and make sure it is down, and boil at least 10 minutes.