Home made bread

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by nitram, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

It is my jnderstanding that 1. Retarding the rise until another time gives you flrxibility about when you can bake i.e. mix, beat it to death, one rise and then beat it again, shape and in the fridge, bake the next morning and 2. It enhances the taste.

I think I'll give it a shot out of curiosity. I usually do my baking during the 6 episodes of Corrie playing back to back on Sunday mornings but I'll play with this alternate.. or at least do one batch that way. I foist a lot of my bread on friends and neighbours so that is why I go through so much flour. And that is also why I grow my own hot peppers -to make bread with them. And no, I won't eat that stuff.

nitram likes this.
  3. nitram

nitram Seedling

Logan likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I thought of the post about retarding the rise as I was making a batch of refrigerator rolls this morning. The dough rises in the kitchen for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, then is punched down and refrigerated for a minimum of two hours. When it comes out of the fridge, it is shaped and rises again for an hour or so. It makes a very light bread, but delicious. I've never tried refrigerating other doughs (I have lots of time, so can spend a morning or afternoon messing about with dough).

Logan and nitram like this.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I frequently refrigerate the first rise and do the second in the warmer kitchen temps ! Especially for dinner rolls !

marlingardener and nitram like this.