homemade tomato sauce

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Annette, Jun 21, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, The manual ones I haven't used...never needed to try one as my In-Laws have always had me over there to help do all the canning using their hopper and auger style one, until I found one for myself and had a canning kitchen installed in my basement (my birthday present to me a few years ago) so I wasn't hauling everything back and forth to their house for the process. So which ever one is available is a good beginning :-D

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

carolyn keiper, Someone gave me a hopper and auger style mill but I have never used it. I actually forgot I had it. I will try it next time I do tomatoes or apples.

Barb in Pa.

3. waretrop

Annette I got one for you. It's almost new. I really mean it may have been used once but I don't even think it was used that much.Only took me one week to find one. Told ya!

I will PM you directly.

Barb in Pa.

4. Annette

Annette Seedling

you must have better thrift stores than i do.....of course, there are probably better ones out in the country side. although the last thrift store i was in, i did find an embroidery hoop for 25 cents....

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what you are getting. It's really in almost new condition. I have one exactly like this and a small one also. I only wish mine looked like this one.

I see these food mills all the time around here. The reason it took me so long to find this one is because yesterday was the first time I was out in the real world by myself.

So here is what I do. Clean and quarter tomatoes and throw in tall pot and begin to cook them slow. Everything on the tomato goes in. Cook them till the things are broken down. The longer the better. Then start putting them in the food mill while it's sitting over another pot and turn the handle clockwise like about 10 times then one time in reverse and back clockwise. You can do this till there is only the skin and core left. throw them away or something. :D

Now you can put the sauce back on the stove, in the tall pot, and let it simmer. You will see that it will get thicker in time. That's when I add flavors if I am going to.

If you like taking care of the tools, take apart the food mill and clean it while the sauce is cooking down. Don't let it sit on the metal. It will stain quick enough just from use. I usually oil it a little with olive oil after it's dry.

To clean it you take the screw off from the bottom. The blade will come off then and you will clean all three pieces. I oil after drying and loosely put back together.

It's going out to you this morning. Enjoy...

Barb in Pa.

Frank and Annette like this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, that was a great and quick find. I had one of my fellow vendors tell me yesterday that there were the other kind of food mill on sale down at Lehman's ( a huge tourist attraction and all non electric items. It is actually interesting to see if anyone ever gets this direction) So I told her to get me one, as she was going there today to get one for her son, So I'll pass it along to my niece, since you found this one for Annette. You did good!

Happy canning Annette!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Annette, I don't know what kind of friends you have, or what your neighborhood is like, but possibly you could borrow a food mill from someone. We swap and trade and borrow everything from canning jars to lids to equipment. My jar lifter is at Ann's, and I have her crank-style food mill. Later today we are going to trade back because another neighbor had an extra lifter to replace Ann's (which broke!). It's also a great way to learn new tricks and techniques, and get some good recipes, too.

Annette likes this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My Mom used to have one of those, she only used it for getting the skin off cranberries at Thanksgiving and Christmas when she made Cranberry sauce. I wonder what happed to it, she probably sold it in a garage sale for 25 cents. :rolleyes:

Carolyn, I have been getting Lehman's catalogs for more than 25 years. I heard about them back in my 'wishing I could homestead' days and got on their mailing list.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb,
    You are in the finalists for "Best and Most Caring Person on Earth". You definitely went above and beyond to help a fellow Stewie. :smt060

Annette likes this.
  10. Annette

Annette Seedling

people in my neighborhood, that i know, do not make alot of homemade stuff....i don't know why, but for me, it makes sense nowadays, you don't always know where your food is coming from, and for $2.00 worth of tomato starts, what a bargain!
    if i haven't said it enough, waretrop, you must be a kind and generous person, and i am thankful to know you (if only on the stew). there should be more people like you :-D :stew2: :stew1:

11. waretrop

Oh my thank you all. "Do onto others", you know...

Many many members here have helped me a great deal. Actually much more than they will ever know. I am a very sentimental person who will go far beyond what others will do. That's just me. It's no big deal.

I love my 'Stewie' place.... I keep telling all of you that.:-D

Annette, Hope you get lots of use out of the mill. Let me know if you need help via email, if you'd like.

Barb in Pa.

Annette, marlingardener and sewNsow like this.
  12. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Oh my,you mean I will have to get rid of seeds in my canned tomatoes now that hubby has dentures? I've been at it nearly 50 years & have ran them through Squeezo & other food mills.The kind with big wooden masher.Really like that kind for juice.Now I just do whole & cut up tomatoes & make sauces on the spot. We have never objected to or noticed seeds.
    sewNsow

13. waretrop

Annette received her food mill and sent me some flower seeds as a thank you. You are sweet.

Enjoy your food mill and let us know when you do sauce and how it turns out.

Thanks, Barb in Pa.

carolyn likes this.
  14. Annette

Annette Seedling

:-D i certainly will......i can't wait....tomatoes are starting to appear....i am extremely excited!...even my brother is excited!....

15. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

The only thing I ever can each year is a tomato sauce I've developed over the past million or so years... I keep doing something different and last year I looked at the bowl of tomato peels and tossed them into the food processor then back into the sauce! It's supposedly where the vitamins are, right? Or is that another old wive's tale my mother told me? I am pretty sure now that "burnt toast gives you a good singing voice" really meant "I am late for work, just eat it!"

I peel and the cut 2 bushels of tomatoes in half, run a thumb through the inside and allow the insides and seeds to fall into a cheesecloth lined funnel over a jar, which I dump into the pot as it fills with juice. I then cook down the sauce until it is really think, somewhere between sauce and paste, but still pourable. Early on, I add a lot of garlic, several large heads of peeled cloves. Halfway through I add red pepper flakes and in the last hour I add chopped green peppers and herbs from the garden: oregano, basil, thyme... I get about 6 quarts from 2 bushels.

Last year, my husband called me away for a few minutes, which turned into an hour, so I got a tiny bit of burning on the bottom, after all that work! I told everyone, I made roasted tomato sauce that year and it was funny to hear people say "oh, I can taste the smoke!" -one of these days soon, I'm gonna be too old to think my way out of a paper bag!

Annette likes this.