homemade tomato sauce

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Annette, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Annette

Annette Seedling

plants are loaded with green tomatoes.....waiting for them to turn red....only pick a few....so far, they taste great! can't wait to make sauce!

2. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Here's how I freeze tomato sauce.

I quarter the tomatoes and put them in a large pan. I add a little salt and about 1/2 cup of water. I turn the heat on low and cook them until they are soft and the peels and seeds start to separate. About 10-15 minutes depending on the amount of tomatoes.

I let this cool enough to handle easily. Then I ladle it into my blender (about half full). Puree it. Repeat until all the cooked tomatoes are pureed. I rinse out the pan to make sure no seeds are in it.

Then pour the tomato puree through a strainer and back into the clean pan. I use a rubber spatula to push the puree through and leave behind the seeds and any large pieces of peel that are left behind.

When all the tomatoes are strained, I cook the sauce in the pan to reduce it a bit. Cool and freeze.

I keep my sauce simple. I can flavor it and season it later depending on the recipe I use it in.

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  3. Annette

Annette Seedling

sounds easy enough for me.......i might have enough tomatoes to try my first batch this weekend....!

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good luck. Take pictures of your adventure.

Barb in Pa.

Advertisement
  5. Annette

Annette Seedling

:D will do....and it will be an adventure!!!!

6. Annette

Annette Seedling

waretrop.......good news...i will be attempting to make my sauce tomorrow...have a colander full of tomatoes to start with and two large pots to work with. however, how much water, if any, do i add to the pot when i begin to cook them, (i am following your instructions you wrote in the post with the pictures). am very excited...i get to use a new kitchen gadget and have sauce as a result! :setc_084: as always, thanks a bunch!

7. waretrop

Annette, It probable depends on the configuration of the pot as to how much water you add. Maybe half cup.

Measure what you freeze in pints or quarts. I prepare it in small amounts like you and then freeze till I get enough to fill a canning pot worth and can them all at once. That way I don't use all my freezer space.

Also after you use your food mill, immediately, wash it then put it over a gas flame burner or electric burner to dry it very well, for only a few minutes. That way it will last longer.

Also, when I pick tomatoes for canning I pick everything that is just beginning to turn pink. Then I carefully put the green ones into a brown paper bag, roll the top down and put it in the pantry where it's dark. Check it every day and you will see them ripen fast. The ones I pick I save on the counter and start cooking them down the next day then add the ones from the paper bag as they ripen.

Got that? I tell my hubby that if he leaves some in the garden for a few extra days, well then, the animals may get it before he gets it the next time. It's a mater of competition. LOL

Barb in Pa.

Annette likes this.
  8. Annette

Annette Seedling

:-D
    well, i made my first batch of sauce, and i must say, i was happy with the results. a full colander of tomatoes made about 2 quarts (though, i'm not sure of the exact size). i just put them in the freezer! have another full colander again, and will make more my next day off. i think i added a bit too much water, and next time will probably just add a bit. that being said, i think the first thing i'm going to make is some tomato soup!....bring on the goldfish crackers!.....
    thanks to everyone for the wonderful advise, and especially to waretrop, for the awesome food mill. when i wash it, i put it in my oven, which still has a pilot light (very old) and dries everything nicely.
    sorry i don't have any pictures for you.

Frank, Donna S and marlingardener like this.
  9. Annette

Annette Seedling

batch #2 done!!! (yielded 3 containers)...another almost ready to go....plus next project....barbecue sauce!

10. waretrop

Congrats....

Barb in Pa.