Honey Locust Seeds at Work

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by starface000, Apr 19, 2009.

1. starface000

starface000 Seedling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only tree seeds that I collected last year and planted this spring that are for sure working are some honey locust seeds. I have two sprouts, one shown in the first picture, and a lot of bloated seeds, as can be seen in the second.

I wasn't sure how to plant them, so I tried two ways. One way was to take some seeds out of the catkins and planting them loose in a pot. To be safe, I also broke some catkins into pieces and buried chunks of whole pod in some soil. Both ways seem to work, with the removed seeds getting a head start.

Something that I found interesting was how the seeds start small and swell up over time. In the second picture you can see the difference in the seeds. There are two smaller, darker seeds and the others are on their way to becoming trees! I discovered this because I'm very impatient and I dug the pods out of the pots to see if they were working or not.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good job there. You will have to take add more pictures to this topic as the sapling gets larger.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh yes please. We do love to see progress reports on new seedlings maturing. :-D

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

You dug them up??? You crack me up :D I thought I was impatient! :snicker:

6. starface000

starface000 Seedling

Yeah, patience is one trait I've never had. Thanks for your guys encouragement. I'll post a picture when you can tell they're actually trees. :)