Horsey Stuff

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Droopy, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thought I'd just make a thread where us horse folks can discuss horses without cluttering up other threads in the forums. Horse people are as bad as plant people when it comes to talking about our interests. I've seen people's eyes glaze over within a minute after they've asked a polite question about either plants or horses and I start answering it at length. I get embarrassed every single time!

I found bedding! Came home with sawdust on my clothes, in my hair, in my pockets (!) and shoes. I had to shake what I had been wearing before entering the house through the laundry room, lol! Came back with 9 full 150 liter plastic bin liners. It won't last long, but the shops will get a new delivery some time next week they said. I'm pulling every string on every contact I've got. Hope I'll find someone somewhere with a nice stock so I can buy a bag or two.

You have the same arrangement for securing the horse for treatment as we have. He's 16, not 26, but I would have taken him anyway. He has already been wormed. We always sedate the horses before the vet start working on their teeth. The dental people roaming this country never sedate before shoving a grinder into the horse's mouth so I prefer the vet does it. I've ordered a full check-up, including blood work and xray of legs and hooves in case there's something there we can't see.

Speaking about worming: We stopped with routine worming of the horses some six-seven years ago. Instead we deliver a sample of dung to be analyzed for worms and worm eggs in spring and again in autumn. We haven't needed to worm the horses during the last five-six years, and I'm very glad we haven't given them any unnecessary medication.

My regular farrier is from Iceland, and of course very good at trimming and shoeing Icelandics. He can also forge special shoes for the horses if needed. He's expensive, but I feel it's worth it.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  2. Droopy

Skuld is scheduled to arrive this afternoon/evening. Got a few final preparations to finish, but nothing big and certainly not anything critical that HAS to be done before he arrives.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Great day to see Skuld today. He’s gonna be a happy camper with good care and lots of love. sorry typing error I meant 16 yrs old, and of course the vet will sedate the horse very common in some cases . I hope I get a pic soon.. sending lots of hugs to Skuld.. and good vibes .

Melody Mc. and eileen like this.
  4. Droopy

Here's Skuld! He arrived late so we didn't get to spend a lot of time together before evening feed and goodnight. He seemed stressed after the transport and eager to meet his new flock. I believe he's pretty cool-headed once he gets settled in. I'm gonna do some measuring today and order bridle and rugs. He needs rain gear, Icelandic fur or not. I think he's very cute:

20230126_195127.jpg

20230126_195230.jpg

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Droopy what a beauty. Skuld is a happy camper Posen and Munchen..such a cutie..
    Than you for sharing that pic. They have such a cute face. He looks like he's rarin to go into a great Droopy journey .. and you’ll both be better in the end. Sometimes I think I learn more from them than they do with teacken exercises:.

Hugs to Skuld the Icelandic. He looks strong , shinny coat and ready to explore his new home.:smt026

Melody Mc. and Droopy like this.
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm sure Skuld will settle down quickly now he's in your care Droopy. He's a handsome lad and will soon be enjoying life to the full with you.

Melody Mc., Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Droopy, I am eaten with envy! What a lovely, lovely horse, and didn't he fall into a bed of roses by coming to you. Please keep us posted on his progress, and the more pictures, the better.

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

:smt060Droopy.. sending good vibes to Skuld and:smt060:smt055:smt054:smt049

Droopy and eileen like this.
  9. Droopy

Thank you all for your trust in me. I'm feeling out of my depth here because I haven't dealt with a case like him before. I know how to go about it, just haven't done it myself. Skuld met his new mates yesterday. We just dumped all three of them in the field and stood back to watch. He's an intelligent little thing with social skills. It took him less than ten minutes to befriend the flock leader and feel safe enough to have a good roll (in the dirt of course). He has lovely movements despite the state he's in. High leg lifts and a wide stride. He's also very polite. He stood quietly waiting for permission to go out of his stable box when I was leading him out. I really dislike impolite horses! (And children.)

The next few days I'll be concentrating on what I know best to do: Give him lots of love, care, and the right food. I don't think it will take long before he feels comfortable around me and the other people who will handle him at the stables.

I have to dig out a big sewing needle and wool yarn to bring with me to the stables. He's been given a couple of hand-me-down rugs and the straps have to be shortened to fit him. He has a sore back, and his fur isn't thick enough to keep the rain we're getting out. He needs to be warm and dry. I believe the back will sort itself out. The vet's coming next week, so we'll know more then.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Droopy.. your read on Skuld is perfect. He couldn’t have found a better home. So amazing how well he adjusted to his new home. You’re the best and makes my heart happy to know Skuld is in good hands. His personality will shine in time. Many rewards for him as he continues to improve.:smt035

11. Droopy

Gosh, Pac, he's so easy to love! He has such a sweet personality. I took him for a little walk yesterday so he could see his new environment. One of the other horses came along. I didn't know how he was to lead, but turns out he has a very cool head. There were cars, people, dogs, a very drunk Polish man, chainsaw work, and lots of other things by the road. He didn't bat an eyelid, just followed my lead, looked around, took everything in, and occasionally put his muzzle on my hand, probably to check for treats. He's an eager-to-please horse who loves treats, and that's good news for me. He'll be easy to train.

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Droopy.. a very well mannered kiddo Skuld is turning out to be. He is as they say Parade worthy … Trail worthy … trail manners great.. you have such a gentle well cared for horse. Every time I see his pic I just want to hug and kiss. His eager to please personality is the best kind … sweet lil face… How lucky he is to have you Droopy. :smt060 He is a diamond in the rough, when you are finished he will be a well polished diamond. :smt055

eileen, Droopy and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Droopy - I just had an opportunity to read your thread. My eyes leaked a wee bit. I'm so happy for you and for your new boy. He is gorgous. :) :heart::stew1:

Our horses were also rescues. My Betty was a Registered Quarter Horse and a retired Barrel Racer from the rodeo circuit. She was injured and never quite the same for competition. Gala was an Arabian show horse, then a retired brood mare. Both were no longer wanted and given to us from folks who wanted to move on to bigger, better and younger ( They found us through a mutual friend in the circuit and show circles). They had good lives here and brought us immense joy. Lots of love, bareback hangouts in the pasture, rides to the lake, kids and carrots. We built the barn just for them, and went together with ranchers to arrange shared vet, dental and farrier visits because of the remoteness of our location.

What a new wonderful loving life you are giving him, and what a wonderful loving life he is giving you. He will excel and thrive with your skills and devotion. It's a beautiful new chapter the two of you are starting together. I will look forward to updates. :)

Pacnorwest, marlingardener and Droopy like this.
  14. Droopy

He was probably well-trained before he ended up where I found him, @Pacnorwest, so I can't take credit for that. I'm going to find out what he knows and go on from there. He loves being groomed. I'm thinking he's been much loved earlier in his life since he's so happy for a good scratching and mane combing.

Awww, @Melody Mc., I'm so glad you were able to take those horses in and give them a loving home! You're such a good person. Most horses around here end up in sausages when they're too old to compete or do work, or just not wanted anymore because of injuries. This use-and-throw-away mentality makes me so angry! Animals aren't machines, and sometimes I just hate people. There, I said it!

I keep forgetting to take photos. I'm so focused on doing the stable chores and get to know Skuld better. I'll try tomorrow, promise.

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and eileen like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Droopy When you get a chance we would luv more photos of Skuld.:sete_056:

Droopy likes this.