Horsey Stuff

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Droopy, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yesterday was a very long day at the stables. I left home before ten in the morning, got the horses outside, did the stable chores, got ready to leave, and then the farrier rang. He had a cancellation and could come by in the afternoon. I didn't bother to go home just to grab a quick bite and head back. We had planned to walk the horses while it was still light out, but that never happened since we had to fix an outdoors food crib that the other Icelandic at the stables had managed to tear apart. These are solid things, mind, but that horse is a master of demolition. The third woman got delayed. We said we'd wait for her, but I didn't bother to gome home just to turn and go back again. We did our walk in the dark. After the walk and putting the horses inside for supper, around 20.00, we worked in the dark to further secure that food crib. We had to do it then since the weather would be lovely today and the spoiled beasts could have breakfast outside. I came home around 20.45. I managed to get hold of my husband somewhere in between to inform him I had not run away from home and I would be back late. He made dinner while I warmed up in the shower.

I don't know what experience Skuld has with farriers, but he was clearly uncomfortable. The farrier is a patient man who knows Icelandics well. He managed to put shoes on all four hooves despite Skuld's protests. We're hoping next time will go more smoothly.

Skuld will have his dental treatment and vaccine today. I hope the vet won't be delayed because I want to go home for lunch before I take off to see if I can find any sawdust and stuff later in the afternoon. Yesterday my diet was one slice of bread with brown cheese for breakfast, one good-morning yoghurt for lunch, six-seven caramels and a hot cocoa in the afternoon, then a late dinner. Lobster soup with fresh rolls.

Here's Skuld patiently waiting for our walk:

Snapchat-2109556344.jpg

Frank, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy Droopy even I felt tired after reading everything you'd done. You managed to achieve so much in just one day!! I'm sure Skuld will get used to having his feet seen to in time. I hope the vet doesn't run late and you manage to get home for lunch.

Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.
  3. Droopy

Thanks, @eileen, but I didn't do much myself bar daily chores and that extra mending. The waiting around for people is more tiresome than actually doing something!

Dental treatment done. His teeth didn't look too bad, and that made me happy. He was nervous around the vet. She sedated him, but when she started up her equipment he was suddenly too alert so she had to give him a bit more sedation. After that it was easy going, she said. I went outside while she worked and had my yoghurt. The cat wanted a taste, so I let him:

20230201_131820.jpg

Then I had to wait for Skuld to wake up properly before letting him back outside. They look so silly when they rest their head on the door and the lower lip is just dangling:

20230201_141547.jpg

It's my week to muck out their outdoors area. We do it every day. It's originally our riding rink, but we decided to tear down the single paddocks and let the horses be together. They're social flock animals and find safety in numbers. As I did the round with the wheelbarrow and fork Skuld followed me like a dog commanded to heel. That's a really good thing. It shows he's decided I'm his human, and also that I'm in charge. He never crowded me but politely kept appropriate distance. I'm liking this horse more and more each day.

eileen, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Look at the handsome boy with his new shoes. :) What a long day Droopy. Your dinner sounds fabulous...must have been exquisite after such a long cold empty tummy day.

That must make your heart feel good that he's decided you're his person. :heart:

eileen, Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Long days and forgetting to eat is kinda part of the game, lol!

I found this video that might explain horse people's mind set:

eileen, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

:smt044:smt081:smt082

That was good Droopy. You did better than the guy in the video at the restaurant trying to remember what day he ate. hahaha At least you didn't have just a beer for dinner :)

We had quite a few laughs watching that...a lot of it was also the difference between city folks and country folks. We call them "604's" here ( are phone area code of Vancouver BC).

Thanks for sharing.:)

Droopy, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Luv Skuld.. he looks great with his new shoes.. so classy …

Droopy and eileen like this.
  8. Droopy

Yes, @Melody Mc., it makes me very happy that he's decided I belong to him.

Thanks, @Pacnorwest. New, shiny shoes always look good. And they are studded, so no slipping on the ice either.

Brought the youngest with me to the stables today to help me out. Was asked to mind my friend's horse too because of a funeral so I needed an extra pair of hands. Mucking out is hard work. Mucking out for two is even harder, lol. Skuld keeps amazing me with his gentle behaviour. Youngest and he took to each other immediately, and that's just wonderful! My friend's horse is rehabilitating from a fall so she needs a daily massage, stretching, and a walk. Today we got to walk in lovely weather, which made a nice change:

Snapchat-1915380493.jpg

eileen, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

..nice day for a walk …what a beautiful scene. Give Skuld a hug and kiss for me..
    He is looking so happy.
    We are stuck in a polar arctic blast. So no walks for me today.
    Sending good vibes your way.

Droopy and eileen like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Isn't that wonderful that he and your youngest connected. That is a sweet picture.

Droopy, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty posted on the Good Day All thread about the cost of the blades for ice skates. Nine hundred dollars!!! Here in Texas you can buy a horse for that. Of course, skate blades don't need a vet, farrier, tack, oats and hay, and daily grooming. Horses don't come cheap, but then you can't cuddle with skate blades . . . .

Pacnorwest, eileen and Droopy like this.
  12. Droopy

I will hug and kiss him from you tomorrow, @Pacnorwest. They were let out in the field since the weather is dry and mild, so we just let them enjoy themselves today.

Thanks, @Melody Mc.. I think it's wonderful too.

Oh my gosh, @marlingardener! That's a lot of money for metal! I have to check the thread. I think you can probably get some sort of horse for that money here too, but maybe not a horse worth having.

Skuld now knows my voice. I couldn't see him in the field the other day so I whistled and called out his name and he came running up the hill to meet me. He seems more trusting and his eyes aren't so sad anymore. Yesterday I only had problems with his right foreleg. He really didn't want to lift it. He lifted the other three nicely when asked so I could clean his hooves. It's a big improvement since he only lifted one leg voluntarily on his first day with me. He also seems more comfortable when I tie him up to groom him. He didn't like that much the first few days. He's improving every day and is such a sweetie! He's looking a bit better body-wise but still needs to build up some fat reserves.

327286086_2341897362650361_6313025055759056540_n (1).jpg

When I went to pick up some sushi for lunch at the local sushi place I told them I have a horse again. The owner gave me a big smile and demanded to see photos. Then he looked at me and told me he could see this was good for me because my eyes are shining again. I'm really surprised he noticed any change in me at all. I'm not his only customer you know, lol. He's such a nice chap, and his wife is a lovely person too.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ah Droopy, there is nothing like an animal to make one feel better, and feel needed. You are so good for Skuld, and Skuld is so good for you.

Droopy, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

So True… I agree… :smt026

Droopy.. when will Skuld be wearing his first saddle up…?

Droopy and marlingardener like this.
  15. Droopy

So true, @marlingardener, but only if you're an animal person. I know people who'd never let an animal, or bird, or anything living bar house plants, into their homes or lives. I can't help but thinking they're missing out, but they obviously don't think so.

@Pacnorwest, I don't know! I find it hard to spend a lot of money on a saddle now since I don't know what type might fit him when his back is more muscled. Right now that back looks like the roof of my house if you get the picture.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and eileen like this.