House Progress and Garden Regress

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Palm Tree, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've missed this thread completely, since I've got a rather busy RL at the moment. Sorry. I must say I find it exciting to follow your building process, and rather you than me. :D

Poor LP. He'll need to get away himself after you're done, to relax and unwind.

2. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Ja I think I will have to take LP on a trip to a relaxing spa.
    :oops: Pardon me for being ignorant - What is RL??

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Real Life. It's demanding most of my time these days so I've got less time to spend on the Stew.

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Aha

Thanks for the enlightenment.

My RL is just as hectic at present.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I didn't realize that you were so close to the sea! I guess the mobieltje slapt met de vissen, bij wijzen van spreken, hè?
    Well the work at your place is literally piling-up, isn't it? Having said that--it is clear that progress is being made. It was good that the workers could (or would) work through the holiday. Do they earn extra pay for doing that? This last piccie showing vehicles and slabs really illustrates what you were talking about when you were lamenting the rough treatment of your garden plants. Poor things. Sterkte.
    Waiting for the next installment of update fotos.

6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh how this post cheers me up - thanks Sjoerd.
    Sleeping with the fishes indeed heheheehee. I needed something very lighthearted to make me laugh.
    Work piling up in the literal sense. true. THe walls are starting to take shape.
    I must be thankful for the builders working.
    And oh yes - they do get paid double time for working on Public Holidays and tiem + half for overtime on regular days.
    But - did not feel right about it - thus I told them to take 24 December off as well as 27 December - then at least they can spend a long Christmas weekend with their families.

(In the meantime I live without a bathroom and wash myself like in the good old days with a basin in the garage. - Very uncomfortable I must add.)
    I will go outside now and try not to get in the way of the buiilders to snap a few photos (Someone with a cameraphone just walked in.)

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad you liked that one, Palmpie.
    Well, it's christmas eve today and I guess that house work there will cease now for a few days. It'll give you a chance to go out there and snoop around and check things out without having to worry about getting in anyone's way.

Oh dear, living without a bathroom. That takes me back.
    I can remember here and there that there were outbuildings for such activities (no indoor plumbing). The residence of my grandparents was just that sort place....and when I would come in from a whole days' play, they would immediately direct me to where the well was by the great maple tree. That's where the large tin 'basin' to stand in was (clothing got washed in it as well).
    They used the term, "mandi". Do you know that term? They would tell me to take a mandi (mandi doen).
    I would stand in the basin and pump water into a cup then pour it over myself.
    Then get all soaped-up, and pump another cup of water and pour that over myself again, to rinse the soap off. A simple but effective method of bathing.

A person grows up and forgets...and it wasn't until I travelled to Indonesia that I was re-acquainted with this term and method.
    I would say that about 2/3rds of the places where I stayed offered this method of bathing.

How are you coping? chuckle

Well, perhaps you will take some piccies during the christmas holidays and show them here. I do find this building project of yours very interesting.

Palm Tree likes this.
  8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

With the holidays and the accompanying fires that usually rages in this season, I am such a busy person.
    The house project is a bit slow (for my liking.)

While I was away on volunteer firefighting, the builders are doing their usual tricks - I do not know whether anyone of the stewbies also experienced this -
    but they are trying to cut corners.
    THe first floor - floor slab was laid by the concrete company and after that the builders were instructed to start the staircase and getting the ground floor section at least livable.(I am tired of mandi doen)
    Well while I was busy on volunteer duty they were supposed to continue. That they did alright - but
    yesterday evening I inspected the work again and found out they they actually neglected (on purpose)to fit the lintels over the doorways and windows in the groundfloor section.
    :scheming:

Needless to say - they now have to break down the brick and plaster to insert the lintels - for I do want the lintels fitted. (I do not want to redo cracks due to lack of lintels in some two or three years time.)

SO now its breaking down and rebuilding sections...

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, I can sympathize. We are in the process of tearing apart the guest bathroom, which means that there is a line forming early in the morning to use the one remaining bath. I may end up standing out in the yard with a tin tub, pouring water over myself!
    Yes, builders are a special breed. The roofers we had do the roof on our previous house escaped with their lives, but they have permanent scars. After I mentioned that "He needed killin'" was a valid defense in Texas, things went much more smoothly. You might try that the next time your builders decide to cut corners. Point out to them that corners aren't the only things that can be cut!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh good grief, Palmpie!! What are those guys like. :-?
    I just hate to have workers that you have constantly to keep an eye on. Its a sad commentary that some workers have no self pride or professionalism in their work. It says alot about the business they work for and it says alot about the individual workers as well.
    You know Palmpie--I find myself a fairly flexable person, but when agreements have been made and contracts have been signed, then there must be consequences for violations, I feel. Its just proper business behaviour.

I would be fuming angry as well! All that extra work and time wasted. I mean, those workers MUST know the importance of lintels...heck, people have been building that way for a few thousand years now already.
    An example: The Lion Gate at Mycenae, a structure ±2000 years BC.
    [​IMG]

So...you are mandied-out eh? :) Well, I hope that they can make that lower level liveable for you, really soon.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Yep Sjoerd I am mandied out! hehehee.

And yes Marlin Gardener - builders are indeed a special breed - and not the pedigreed type either.

Anyways I managed a few piccies here are yesterdays' doings...

[​IMG]
    plaster chipped away ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

The plaster must now be taken off to make space for the lintels.

More chipping.

[​IMG]
    second lounge window ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

Even the backdoor lintel was not fitted.

[​IMG]
    without lintel backdoor ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

The backdoor had the door frame in already - at least the brickforce was done properly.
    Anyway -still more chipping and fitting - all in all it is 2 windows and 3 doorways that have to get lintels fitted today.

12. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Yet more chipping and cutting away - I almost forgot the slab needs to be cut to make way for the fireplace chimney.

[​IMG]
    the old chimney stack ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

Above the chimney stack the cantilever balcone has to be cut to accommodate the flue.

In the meantime the electrician is doing his bit.

[​IMG]
    Light switch ?? ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

In the meantime he did his cutting already and just need to chase the conduits into the walls.
    Obviously only after he pulled all the necessary wires through.

[​IMG]
    Plug points?? ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

It is amazing how many details everyone has to take care of. At least the electrician is making my day and even reminded me about installing all the necessary bathroom 'electricals' like a shaver point, hairdryer points, etc. in the appropriate places.
    Yet another day - It is just so hot....I wonder if the builders can work at a steady pace?

13. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Ooh
    almost forgot

Need help to make a decision.

Flooring - If I want the bottom part livable then I should have the floor also fitted - any ideas which one would be best?

Strandwoven bamboo
    or
    Teak wood.

I used to have Cherrywood floors, but it is quite damaged and the little bit that I salvaged I will use for wall panelling.

I need to cover approximately 125 square meters for now.

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Been walking on the yard and sadness grows when I look at the poor garden.

[​IMG]
    Rosemary and Lavender ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

The poor Rosemary and Lavender is battling with the builders.
    Believe it nor not - even after the annual pruning (I do this every August) the herbs have been reduced to a quarter of the size that they usually are.

[​IMG]
    Clivia?? ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

Poor Clivia, hardly recognizable. Even the mulch has cement on it.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You have a great bunch of posts here, Palmpje. It is easy to see now how the work is being done.

From the two choices that you have offered, I would vote for the bamboo. Are you not considering tegels? They would be cool on your feet in the summer and are very easy to keep clean.

It sure does look like Clivia to me, I used to always have them in the house and enjoyed looking for the bud group to emerge from inbetween the leaves each year. Are they the orange ones, or the lightly-coloured lavender ones?
    it's a great plant.