Household tips for easier living

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by carolyn, Jun 10, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Need a measuring stick in the garden while working? are you using a hoe.... mark the handle at 12-15-18-24-30--36". or in metric. saves much frustration at handling a tape measure or a yard stick while trying to do it all.

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow, that is a super idea. I know what I will be doing to our hoe today. Thanks Carolyn.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It has saved much frustration for me this year. Go to it. Use my idea to make your life easier. I also added a 44" mark to make placing tomatoes faster. Move my hoe1/2 as often.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Another great kitchen hack... not sure if I have mentioned it... maybe I should write a book, huh? anyway... TACKY grease on baking pans? liquid dishwasher detergent.. squirt some in the water and let your pans soak a couple minutes... (do NOT do this with aluminum pans as it will discolor them) scrub them with a scrubby...... wa-la..gone. the tacky grease is dissolved.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have only had a dishwasher for about the last 5 years so in the past my sink was always filled with an assortment of pots, pans, etc soaking in water with dish washing soap added. And when I realized that my bread baking pans were always cleaner when I let them soak in soap instead of cleaning them in the dishwasher with detergent I stopped putting them in the dishwasher.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Toni, I had to correct that above... it should have been the liquid dishwasher detergent... not dishwashing.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I will try jet dry for windows but it's going to have to be as amazing as what I use now on all glass, mirrors or chrome & stainless etc. which is pure alcohol the rubbing kind in a spray bottle. Also dryer sheets are great for stinky shoes that are not washable. And paper coffee filters are great in the bottom of flower pots as well. And did you know to keep bugs/weevils out of flour or any dry goods simply put a couple whole bay leaves in the bag or box, and so rice does not get buggy keep in the frig.

Cayuga Morning, 2ofus and carolyn like this.