Houseplant ivy with brown spots, diagnosis needed

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Cayuga Morning, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

This is a chartreuse form of philodendron (? Philodendron cordatum neon?) that I have been growing in an archway in our home. The arch gets very little direct sunlight so I have been supplementing it with a lamp. The leaves seem to be getting burned. Is this too much light? The lamp is not hot so it is not heat causing the problem. I have recently turned down the setting on the lamp ( it has three intensities, it is now at the lowest one.) The leaves are still quite chartreuse....I think they would be greener if the plant was not getting enough light.

Or could it be a different issue? Like a problem with the watering?

On second thought I do think it is the lamp because the brown spots are concentrated where the light falls most directly. The leaves further away are less chartreuse and have no brown spots.

What's a girl to do? IMG_20191223_094708.jpg
    IMG_20191223_094702.jpg
    IMG_20191223_095759.jpg
    IMG_20191223_095808.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Usually philodrendron are hardy as all heck and they don't usually need supplemented with extra light. IMO you are burning them with any extra light at all. I think they're ok with quite a low natural light and if they're growing well in the archway without light then don't bother adding in extra. My philodendron are yellow & dark green and basically grow anywhere in the house. When they get dry I douse them with water but I never let them get so dry they wilt.

5. Cayuga Morning

Ah. Okay. That makes sense. Off the light goes! I'll see how it does. Thanks Islandlife