How did you choose your username?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I never had a nickname until my niece learned to speak and she called me "Aunt Netty" because she couldn't say Annette. It kind of stuck!

2. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I was always a city girl. My DH passed in 1995 :( and I moved around until I found a comfortable place :) . I have always loved :smt049 the country ... thus Kuntrygal (real name is Gaylyn :stew2:

3. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Years ago, long before I was born, Mimi's grand father bought some land on a lake in far northern Wisconsin. A few years later, they built a cottage on a part of that land. The family felt that the cottage needed a name, so they named it Calomaar. The "ca" comes from Carol, one of the daughters, "lo" comes from Lolita, another daughter, "ma" comes from Madeleine, his wife, and "ar" comes from Arthur, his name. The cottage has since passed down several generations to us, under gone several remodelings, but has always been known as Calomaar. We now live here full time. I used the name because it is not likely to be used by anyone else, and I won't forget it.

[​IMG]

4. farawaysister

farawaysister New Seed

It was chosen for me

I have a friend in USA, and we look upon each other as sisters.
    She came and visited me in India last year and we decided we would do a website for which I would write the content and she would design and programme it.
    She ofcourse, chose the domain name and registered it for me because as she said, I was her sister and I was far away...... so I'm now 'farawaysister' in all forums since the site was launched, that's about a month ago!
    That's the true story of my baptisim!

Advertisement
  5. just_a_penguin

just_a_penguin New Seed

Just a screen-name

Toni asked me where my screen name comes from.
    It's not very interesting actually. I've always collected penguins and been interested in penguin knowledge. When I was 16 I worked at a Girl Scout camp and had to pick a "camp name" and I chose Penguin. But then people thought I was referring to the Batman villain, so I started clarifying, that I'm "just a regular penguin" which has been shortened to "Just_a_penguin"

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

My real name is Sharon...but my family calls me Sherry so like other people, I chose one I would remember. The eight usually is because the other numbers are already picked...

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Biita is a family last name. I was born in Umeå, Sweden but went to america as a child. I concider myself american. the side of the family that has the name Biita are the Sa'ami side, (same,sami,saami) you know the reindeer herders of the artic, so I use that name because the chances of anyone else having it is almost zero,,my real name is Henna which is a Finnish name an the norwegian of Henna is Hedda. :stew2: My avitar is the Sa'ami wheel of seasons, there are 8, instead of 4 seasons.

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Biita, I was trying to figure out what your avatar was. That is very interesting. I never realized that anyone had eight seasons, instead of four. With the global warming and being in hot and humid Texas, it seems like we don't even have four seasons anymore. I do fondly remember the time we did and they were beautiful. They all just kind of morph together
    now :(

9. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

The wheel is still followed today whether consciencly(can never spell this word right,,lol) or not,, its starts with the darktime at the top an straight across is the summer sun or midnight sun, cut that into 2 more an you have the equinox an cut that again you have the the seasons for planting, harvesting, breeding and butchering. Since the seasons here are shorter in every way, but more intense or faster because of the sun up 24 hours a day, our cycles are different an we go by the full moon or new moons for when to do what. :stew2:

10. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

In the horticultural desert island where I live, the level of development in landscaping maintenance, practices and gardening, is so sterile, that I could not find a job if I wanted. There are no gardening clubs, botanical gardens worth visiting, or private gardens for that matter.
    Since the painter in question did not sell any of his works while alive, I chose that nick for the similarity.

11. MrBrownThumb

MrBrownThumb New Seed

I made mine up as sort of the anti-green thumb. It reminds me of the old men you see where I live who sit on lawn chairs and water their grass and yell at kids who step on the grass.

:0)

12. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I chose dirt2diamonds because it is what I hope I accomplish in my garden and life. I'm an optimist and believe there is beauty in everything and I believe as I age I am turning into a diamond just through the living of life I sparkle. But I like the abbreviated version that I have been called only on GardenStew=D2D Cool Huh!

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

D2D... I think your philosiphy (spell check wouldn't work!) is the 'power of positive thinking'. We should all have that dream ;)

14. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Most of you probably recognize the name "zuzu's petals" as something that
    I "borrowed" from the classic Capra film It's A Wonderful Life.

To me it signifies that special moment in the story
    when George suddenly realizes just HOW wonderful his life truly is
    and how happy he is to find himself back in the thick of it, troubles and all.

To me, the name is all about counting my blessings -
    Or, as Sheryl Crow wrote in her lyrics,
    "It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got."

I found true happiness in learning to want and appreciate what I already have.

How sappy am I?? :rolleyes:

15. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

ZuZu... that is not sappy :!: It is something we all should live by :-D