How did you come to live where you live?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I was looking through the self portrait thread and noticed that we have people that live in places, that don't apprear to be natives of that area. So I came up with this question. I live within 60 miles of where I was born and within 1/2 mile of where I grew up. Right after high school I joined the Navy and retired 22 years later. My wife and I both wanted to come back to where we were closer to our parents. But my father had passed away before we could move back here. We live in central Ohio.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Born here. Born in Dallas, grew up in Sherman about 75 miles north of here. After 3 years in Colorado and 5 years in south Florida, my oldest daughter and I moved back to the Dallas area in 1977 and I haven't left since.

Logan likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was born and raised about 35 miles from where I live now. Attended college near Dallas then moved to the Albuquerque area for 20 years. Moved back to Texas to help with my aging Mom and to be near family. Been back here for almost 9 years now.

Logan likes this.
  5. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

I was born 45 miles south of here.

joined the Navy for 4 years moved back moved out and to Michigan then back again
    started working here in Ft. Wayne, met BF and have lived here for almost 6 years now..

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I was born and raised in this area and have always liked it. After some travels and a full year abroad I thought my home place is the best place to be for me, so I came home. My husband grew up around here too, and with parents and other family close at hand the choice wasn't difficult.

Logan likes this.
  7. Karen B

Karen B Seedling

Born in western Minnesota and family moved to a small town about 35 miles southwest of Minneapolis when I was about 5 years old. I moved to Minneapolis when I was 19 and have lived in my current home for 26 years. I have travelled but can't imagine living anywhere else. My brother, on the other hand, refuses to live here because of the cold and has tried to talk me into moving to San Diego. I prefer the predictability of snow as opposed to the unpredicatbility of earthquakes and fire.

Lillium_Lover and Logan like this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was born in Leith and lived there until I married Ian. We then moved to a village called Mid Calder around twenty miles from where I was born. When we had the children we moved from our village to this one and have been here for 23years. I doubt if we'll ever move again as we love it here in Livingston Village. I'm still only around 30 miles away from Leith.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I spent a lot of time at the cottage as a child and live within 30 miles of it. My sister lives about 15 miles in the opposite direction.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Born right here!! Raised about 15 minutes west of here in the little bitty town of Keno. Sadly I don't have any family here anymore. Parents and sisters live far away and my grandma has passed away. My husband's mom and 3 of 4 sisters all live right here too. What's that they say? "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home" :-D

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I was raised in Dallas, TX and lived in and around Dallas all my life, with the exception of one year in Tennessee in the early 60's and one year in east Texas in the early 80's. I moved to Lufkin, TX in 1999 to be near my best friend after my DH passed away. And I now live about 55 miles from where I was born ... in east Texas. Ain't life crazy?? :rolleyes:

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I was born in Illinois close to where wannabe lives now. I've lived in too many places to count. I went to 24 schools in 12 years and the last three were in one place. We moved from Wisconsin to Arizona to Texas. We like Texas so maybe we will stay here. dr didn't start traveling until he joined the navy. Now, he has traveling feet, too.
    dooley

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I was born in Houston and at 9 months my family moved back here.I married and moved to Cleburne,Tx.for a year and my hubby liked Madisonville and we moved here.We have lived here ever since.I live on 16.8 acres of my families old home place.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

These are great stories.

I was born two blocks from where I work at John Hopkins Hospital, 15 miles from where I grew up. I fought to leave this little town since I was about 8. At 16, I started moving -- to the beach in the summers, then to college, then over about 17 years I lived in Baltimore, New Jersey, Chicago Illinois, and Virginia. When my mom passed away, this was the only place I felt her presence so I moved back here "temporarily" and that was 10 years ago. I like it here. It is comfortable and a good home base. I have known my neighbors since I was a baby.

15. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I was born 70 miles south of where I live now. It's the farthest I've ever lived from where I was born.

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My parents had itchy feet and moved from California, to Idaho, to Washington to Texas with many homes as they hopscotched around the west never staying more than a few years in any place. They were raised in Colorado (my mom was raised in the same house) and Texas/New Mexico.

In our 20's my husband and I moved to Olympia, WA. from Idaho and California. We met here and stayed. It's nice to have roots since we have lived here for well over 30 years. The climate, city and surrounding area suits us and we can't imagine living any where else. :stew1: Love the rain, dampness, six inch slugs alnd wildlife in the city. Sun lovers usually don't stay long.