How did you come to live where you live?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 29, 2009.

1. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

I was born in baltimore MD parents moved us to fla when I was young have travelled all over the us since but have been in nc 30 yrs now I am in ronda now where I met my fiancee online and guess we will stay here I hope am tired of moving

2. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I was born in Santa Cruz, CA Moved to Pakistan for 8 years when I got married (hubby was Pakistani),then moved here, to N.J., after returning from Pakistan & i've been here ever since...... 26 years. My hubby & I want to retire soon & buy a condo on the beach in Manzanillo, Mexico & a little cabin in Homer, Alaska! We'll winter in Mexico & summer in Alaska..... sounds like a plan, huh?

Growingpains likes this.
  3. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Lake Charles LA

I left asap as soon as my schooling was over. (McNeese State-business and agriculture). After Atlanta, Las Vegas, and Tampa, I had property here and was ready to garden for myself, for a change.

Then Hurricane Rita visited and destroyed my property. Then we moved to my wife's childhood home, which is where I call The Island Oasis. No storm damage.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Philly boy

I was born and raised in Philadelphia until 18 spent time in Navy.
    I returned to Philly and lived and worked until 2002,then moved to Jersey after a divorce,loss of house and children.
    Now live in New Jersey close to Delaware River (10 miles).
    All in All not tooooo bad here.
    ed

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Edlou8181 I also live 10 miles from the Delaware River but on the other side of it and about 3 hours straight north from you. LOL

I grew up in Northern NJ and with hubby being in the military lived all over the place. Daughter was born in Calif and most of her life, I was in Illinois. Spent the next 20 years in NJ until I retired to Pa. I am not moving anymore. The greenhouse is too hard to take apart and rebuild again. You can scatter my ashes in and around the greenhouse for that matter. I am done moving. :rolleyes:

Barb in Pa.

6. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Born and raised on the beach in Hollywood Florida. Im a big city/beach girl! We live in a semi rural suburban town now, 2 hours from home. Had to get away from the crime and horrid schools after becoming a parent, wanted better for our babies. So its torture being in this town but my kids are worth it!

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

After I left New Hampshire to join the military, I lived in several places, the Mojave Desert, the DC area, Pennsylvania, Maryland, VIrginia and Boston, where I met DH, his Grandfather had a hurricane damaged house in WIlmington NC, so we lived there and designed web sites, it was very nice... then some company saw our web sites and offered him a job in Northwest NC. He apparently thought a salary and benefits were a big deal! We lived in Mayberry for 5 years, when drug dealers inspired us to move to Pilot Mtn. I'd like to say I like it here but it is the first place I have ever lived in 55 years where I can not make a friend! If it wasn't for DH, my dogs and my garden, I'd be pretty sad all the time. But, what can you do? but thrive and survive? :) I do like all the people here ;-) I wish I could beam everyone here for a backyard barbecue this weekend!

8. CaribooValley

CaribooValley Seedling

We moved to the Cariboo about six years ago. We had been living on the West Coast of Canada (on the water).

The sleepy little town we lived in (and we loved it there) started getting a big influx of people from Vancouver. Housing prices started going up crazily and we decided to cash in.

Settled in the Cariboo because the way of life is much simpler (and a lot less expensive). We decided we would give it 2 years there, so see if we liked it enough to stay.

We're still there :)

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  9. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

I was born in Germany, at the age of seven years, we go home to Greece, including both how my little sister and brother, lived in a small village until the seventeen, the name of the village [kalamonas] then for two years I intern at Tourism Department school,, then I went for nineteen months in the army,
    Then I lived in the second largest city of Greece, the name of this city [ Thessaloniki], where worked in many restaurants and hotels in this town I met my wife, two days ago we had seventeen years wedding anniversary ... We have two children in sixteen years old my boy and thirteen my girl..
    Eight years ago my wife and I got a big decision to leave the big city and live in a beautiful Greek island [Corfu ]her name,,
    As you know I work in a hotel cooks and my wife is a professor foreign language that she works in schools
    from toddler loves plants, wherever you've gone I've always had very many plants :-D :-D

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Theo,Your life sounds really wonderful.It must be a beautiful place you live in. It is very different here where I live,in the Midwestern US.
    My life is about my plants,too. I can still remember & name the shrubs that grew on the place I lived when I was 5 years old.
    Sometimes I ask my husband what we would do if we didn't garden.
    sewNsow

Theodoros likes this.
  11. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

sewNsow thank you very very much :-D :-D
    And I do not know what I would do without plants :-D :-D

12. craftie2

craftie2 New Seed

Why I ended up here

Why I ended up here in pensacola fl. My husband was in the navy. And our last duty station was here in pensacola. And by the time he was to retire the kids were in high school. And we didn't want to pull then so we stayed here. This is no home and would never leave. Love Pensacola

Margie :stew1:

Frank likes this.
  13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I posted "my story" here back in 2009. Then in November 2011, I moved back to the home where I was born and raised... and I'll never leave again (hopefully).

14. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well, my story is a bit strange, regarding how I moved here - But not totally unexpected either... But for all those who are still wondering how anybody would want to live in a place like this:

Where the Summer season lasts for 9 to 10 months, during the peak of which the outside temperature can easily touch 45ºC+ (above 113ºF). In the North you'll find nothing but a sandy desert. In the South is the Arabian Sea. In the East is one of the largest Mangrove forests in Asia (but I see it as nothing but one giant swamp). And in the West is the rocky desert. Oh, and it hardly ever rains here - Sometimes once in 3 to 5 years... And so this is how while growing up you also get accustomed to handle frequent nosebleeds due to high heat.

You can still try growing stuff over here, but eventually everything planted will die out (unless constantly taken care of). Sunlight over here too is really very ferocious (at just one degree above the tropic of Cancer). So is not at all uncommon for people to start developing cataract in their early 50s. Yet no flash fires, simply because whatever could have been burned by the intensity of the sun - Burned away millenniums ago. So now only sand remains.

Sweet water too is always in very short supply, as the entire ground water table is salty (thanks to the Arabian Sea).

Only indigenous animals that thrive here are extremely venomous snakes, and some bats too. Yet smack in the middle of all this, is the city of Karachi.

So you may well ask: Exactly who in their right mind will want to live here??? Answer: I was born here... :frustrated:

:rofl:

15. Maypop

Maypop New Seed

We're between Mobile and Pensacola. My grandparents came to the U.S. in 1914. We've remained right here ever since. Love it --- rain & all. Besides the natural beauty and history, the people can't be topped.