How do I build a fire pit like this?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by greengirl, May 3, 2013.

1. greengirl

greengirl New Seed

[​IMG]
    Outdoor Firepit ( photo / image / picture from greengirl's Garden )

I just found this picture of a fire pit. Does anyone have one like this? What type of stone did you use? What is under the base? Do I need to dig deep and fill with anything special?

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. whistler
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Wrennie
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    This is just my guess of how it was done from your photo. The bricks look like fire bricks. They line wood heaters and you can get them at a wood stove dealer. The top "rocks" look like cement stepping stones made with a a mold. I would have dug it deep enough o put down a thick layer of sand.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

That looks interesting, I might want to build one myself. Should I built one, I'll just leave the base bare, no need to dig deep to fill with anything special. For the depth about the height of a red brick standing vertically. The walls by just arranging red bricks vertically close to one another. The top can be finished with more bricks. In the photo I think pavement interlocking blocks were used.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Be sure to select a safe area to build the pit, away from buildings and overhanging trees. Your city or town may have ordinances regarding open burning so it's good to check with them. Fires have been a magnet to gather around for events and functions. Of course safety is a primary concern especially if young children are involved. All the big box home improvement stores carry fire bricks and usually advice on installing them. The pit can't be too deep else the fire be starved for oxygen. The width needs to accommodate easy clean out after a fire. The decorative bricks on the top can be almost any that suits your taste. Pits can also be built to accommodate a steel bowl in which to build a fire, facilitating an easy cleanup. If you do build a pit, we would like to see a picture.

Jerry