how do I save okra seeds for next year?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Sep 15, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Quick question!
    I have some okra pods that I picked tonight that are too big (woody) to eat. Can I save the seeds for next year? If so, how do I do that?

Thank you! DaisyB. :stew2: [/img]

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I personally would have let the pods dry and turn brown on the plant. I say this because I have spoken with a southern gardner in the U.S. in the past when I was looking into growing okra here, and part of the conversation covered the topic of saving seeds. She said that okra seeds were notorious for not keeping well, so what I am about to write may not work for you at all.
    did not reckon that
    Having said that, let me continue--

First of all, I have never saved or grown Okra...but the way that I save Paprika seeds may work for you.

--open the old fruit and remove all the seeds.

--I place these seeds on a paper towel and lay that on the window sill for a week or two.

--When the seeds are well and truly dry, I remove the from the paper towel and put them in a sealed paper envelope, which I keep stored in a dry, cool and dark place.

In light of the advice that I got, I am wondering if it would not be better to keep the seeds in some of the pods and just save pod and all, taking the seeds out only when you are ready to plant them.
    You could do a little study with seeds saved both ways. It would make a good article for here on the Stew.
    I for one, would like reading it.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

You know, I had a feeling it might be better to leave the pods on the stalk, but unfortunately not before I had already cut them.... oh well. There are a few more pods out there -- I'll leave them be. Then I'll have a little study with three options. I like that idea, Sjoerd. Something to research. Thank you!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok, Professor B-- good luck.

Advertisement
  6. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

I grow Okra and have saved the seed pods to dry out
    and also have left them on the plant for a little while they pretty much worked the same
    I just leave them in the pods in an uncovered bowl till the following year and when I am ready to plant just break open the pod in the bowl to get seperate the seeds from the "chaf"

haven't had any problems in 5 years :-D

Tommy Loyd likes this.
  7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Cool. Thanks Bluewolf. This was the first time I grew okra and I liked it so much, I want to grow a lot more next year.

8. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

you're very welcome :-D
    how do you like it fixed?

I love it fried

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

My aunts bread it in cornmeal and fry it with other veggies and call it "Stuff." When I cook it, I just saute in olive oil with herbs and then drizzle a little lemon juice. Or butter. Depends on how healthy I feel like being! Ha! I thought the plants were pretty too.

10. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

AHA you're one of those healthy folks :D
    We coat them with a batter made out of "Drakes Mix"
    Then pan fry

The reason you find the plants so pretty is because Okra is a type of hibiscus
    I plant them in my flower garden so as to have more room in the "veggie field" :-D

11. Tommy Loyd

Tommy Loyd New Seed

My favorite way to fix okra. I cut it into small pieces , then take some yellow crook neck squash cut it into little pieces mix it with the okra so as to have 1/2 okra and 1/2 squash bread it in a flower, corn mill mixture I use about 3/4 corn and 1/4 flower and fry it. The squash really adds to the taste of the okra. you can fry it in what ever kind of oil you like, I like canola or olive oil.