How do you keep your brain fit?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Studies have shown that as we age, our brain cells, called neurons, tend to lose the tree-branch-like connections between them. These connections, or synapses, are essential to thought. Quite literally, over time, our brains lose their heft. it's why we tend to experience memory loss, distractibility, and other cognitive deficits....those "senior moments" as I like to call them! Brain function does tend to falter with age, leading people generally my age to experience a degree o forgetfulness, confusion and the inability to concentrate. But I also have read and studied a lot about strategies to "exercise" the brain and help keep those connections supple and high- functioning.

So what do you do to exercise your brain? A few years ago, I got tired of doing those online games like Luminosity and such that are geared towards keeping seniors' brains engaged and active, and turned instead to learning about technology, keeping up with it, developing new skills, learning to code, plumbing the depths of the apps on my phone and computer and how best to use them....just everything I could think of that's technology related (and there's an endless supply) to learn about and stay abreast of. It's a challenge, and I'm loving it, and it's enhancing my life.

What about you? What do you do to keep your brain exercised and fit?

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I scan through 14 news services, usually several times a day. I design my own reference web pages, not only to keep up with the programing aspect but to familiarize myself with the subject matter. I never let a new word slip by without learning its definition. To read I have but to reach behind me and pick from over 200 active books in my library. History and science being the main categories. And then there is Gardenstew. A community of interesting people from around the world with a plethora of botanical interests from Abscisic to Zonal and other subjects like how to keep your brain fit.:)

I do forget words and methods to accurately express a thought, I know they are there...somewhere....my lexicon is large enough to easily substitute a word or phrase. Google also provides a quick reference. A refresh of words from Readers Digest Word Power provides enough pathways to keep the brain happy. Oh yes, I do have an unabridged dictionary. A gigantic tome that has been with me since I was 7.

One word alone can send you on an adventure of a lifetime.

Never let a day pass without learning something, after awhile they add up even if you do misplace a synapse or two.

Jerry

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    S-H, cuatro-gatos, Laly and 3 others like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our books--we have bookshelves in every room except the bathrooms. I do crossword and word puzzles, my husband who is more intelligent makes graphs of rainfall, temperatures, etc. Of course GardenStew--what would I do without all those avid gardeners willing to share experience and ideas.
    We have three very heavy dictionaries. When we lived in town the little girls who lived behind us had never seen a dictionary and were fascinated. I thought of giving them one of ours, but couldn't bring myself to give one up. Book hoarder!
    When I can't come up with the right word, I just tell myself my brain is going through the "stacks" to find it (former librarian talking here).
    I am following news programs, mostly NPR and PBS nightly news.
    Jerry, we have three cats. We learn something daily, much of which we could do without!
    Seriously, that is a great thought-provoking post. Thank you, sincerely.

Gail-Steman and Ronni like this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I do crossword and word puzzles, once in a while a jigsaw puzzle if the subject moves me.
    Just to keep my sanity I do not watch news programs, I have my opinion of what's going on and am not interested in what most of the talking heads have to say.
    I am still trying to find my Grandmother through ancestry searches and trying to come up different ways to word a search is stretching my brain but sometimes not in a good way. (I still think she and her family were flying through our atmosphere in their space ship when she started an argument with her brother who opened the hatch and kicked her out over Pennsylvania or Missouri, depending on which census taker she talked to later in life).
    I knit and usually make up my own patterns and I never follow their suggested color scheme, I choose my own.. I garden which gets me outside where getting my hands in the dirt keeps me smarter than most anything else I can do.

S-H, Gail-Steman and Frank like this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I read, do puzzles, play mahjong, write short stories, paint and draw and have tried/am trying lots of different crafts. I'm fascinated by the English language and if I find a word I don't know I've got to investigate its meaning. However, my main way of keeping my grey cells working is to keep up with veterinary medicine and all the new techniques and advances (especially orthopaedic prosthetics.)

S-H, Gail-Steman and Frank like this.
  7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well for me having health issues and brain damage to the right side of the brain already through past history...keeping the left going is important as I get brain fog a lot...so I find coming on here and chatting with you plus the discussions helps me plus gardening is a pleasure within it self...then i'm with an health forum so more activity and come night I love my reading but I will admit my brain comes more alive if hubby does something to annoy me :mad:

S-H, Laly and Frank like this.
  8. Laly

Laly New Seed

I think it is good for me! I forget a lot of things and I feel much happier. :D

I work in a preschool. Our "most intelligent" (over 50 years old) teachers are those who work with children using the Montessori method. Probably because they develop fine motor skills every day. This, of course, stimulates thinking at any age.

My job is to write scripts for small children's performances and come up with dances and musical numbers for this. It helps me to have a mental tone. But ... when I cross the road, I have to tell myself that the traffic light is already green.:D

S-H and Gail-Steman like this.
  9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Laly it's funny you saying this as my hubby lets stuff fly over his head and won't carry crap...god knows what he does with my convo's :eek:

Laly likes this.
  10. aminamoss

aminamoss New Seed

Crosswords are my go-to brain workout! They're fun, challenging, and keep my mind sharp. Plus, I love how they help me improve my vocabulary and problem-solving skills. Give them a try!

S-H and Frank like this.
  11. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

Oh man, let me tell you about my experience with crosswords! They've been a game-changer for me. Whenever I dive into a crossword puzzle, it's like my brain goes into overdrive. It's such a satisfying feeling when I crack a tough clue or complete a grid. Plus, it's amazing how much my vocabulary has expanded over time.

S-H and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Entonman

Entonman New Seed

I totally get you - crosswords are my favorite brain workout too! It's such a satisfying feeling when you crack a tough clue and fill in those squares. Personally, I've found that solving crosswords regularly has not only improved my vocabulary but also sharpened my problem-solving skills. I recently came across a great crossword solver article that shares some handy tips and tricks for solving crosswords faster, and I must say, it has really helped me up my game! It's definitely worth checking out if you're looking to boost your crossword-solving prowess.

S-H, Cayuga Morning and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Singing, most days i do it and very good at it.

Cayuga Morning, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've so many jobs around the house and garden and that many hobbies, my brain is in a permanent state of near exhaustion, so it doesn't need any more exercise, thank you.

15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I love that you sing Logan. I do also...by myself....way far away from anyone. Out of kindness and respect for my fellow human beans. I admire that you have a lovely voice.

DHR - I get the busy brain that doesn't get a chance to rest. Although, if I had an ounce of extra energy I would want yours, along with your sharp eye and talent to take care of business at your own hand. Also something I admire.

Crosswords...they scare me. hahaha. Now scrabble! That I can do.

16. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've never been one for, "non active sport" games, other than those card games like snap and happy families we played with the kids.
    I don't do crosswords and never have been interested in computer games, never played space invaders in pubs. My kids bought me a Tiger Woods video golf game for Christmas, twenty years ago, The DVD has never been out of the box.

I could never see the sense in gambling either, it's a mugs game, I've never been inside a betting shop.

S-H, Logan, eileen and 1 other person like this.