How Do You Like Your Eggs?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

How do you like your eggs?,..and if its a boiled egg how do you eat it?.

I asked a friend in the USA how did she eat her boiled egg?,..was it starting from the narrow end or the fat end,..she replied that she just cracked the egg open and then sliced it!,..it was then that we discovered the way we eat and cook boiled eggs this side of the pond is not the same world over.

We,.. boil an egg to the required time to suit whether you like it hard or soft,..then while still hot we lop the top off and proceed eating,..and there is another question,..do you eat it from the narrow end or the fat end?,..this was why the people in the book written by Jonathan Swift,..Gullivers Travels,..went to war,..over which end the egg should be opened.

Lilliput and Blefuscu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Many members have hens or used to have hens like myself,..and when eggs are aplenty you should keep some for the time when your hens are not laying,..Freeze Them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5352135_freeze- ... -eggs.html

How do you store your eggs?,..most of us store them in the refrigerator,..but its best to keep them in the egg carton on the shelf rather than in the sections on the refrigerator door,..banging the door and shaking the eggs reduce the life span,..and most important eggs not in the protected carton can pick up unwanted flavors like onions or fish and sauces.

Hard boiled eggs more difficult to peel are usually "fresh" eggs.

If you are going to use hard boiled eggs in a salad and don't want that green appearance,..then when boiled,..turn off the heat,..cover with a lid and leave for 15 to 20 minutes,..then cool them with running water.

Regulations are that the sell by date for eggs is no more than 30 days from the packing date.

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The only time I eat boiled eggs is when I'm having egg salad or putting them in potato salad. Otherwise I just eat overmedium fried eggs. I don't like boiled eggs much at all, even in salad. I refrigerate my eggs on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator in the cartons they are packaged in. Mostly my eggs have been coming fresh from my neighbors since they both have chickens.
    dooley

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't eat boiled eggs, either. Mostly fried, over easy. and with homemade toasted bread. The only time I eat a boiled eggs is in potato salad or egg salad or tuna salad or deviled eggs. And that is only IF I can get the shell off.

My dad would want poached eggs over toast points when he didn't feel good, so all they remind me of is being ill. eww!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I liked boiled eggs everyone now and then just by themselves. Mix a bit of salt & pepper on a saucer... peel the egg and then dip it into the mix and munch away.
    I have fond memories of my Dad at Easter. We'd have an egg tapping contest. You'd hold your egg between your thumb and forefinger. He'd always cheat and barely leave any egg showing. So when you tapped your egg against his, usually your egg would break. And when your egg broke, you had to eat it (or if you were lucky, Mom would take it and put with the others and make potato salad or deviled eggs).
    My preferred cooking method for eggs? Scrambled. That way there's no chance of any of the yoke being runny.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What a funny topic :D I like mine hard boiled and I eat them from the narrow end :drool: I've been on so many diets through the years and hard boiled eggs were a cheap, easy and portable protein.
    I read that before you put them in to boil if you stick a straight pin in the top(the pointy end) it will allow the air to escape during cooking and you don't end up with that funky air bubble doo-dah ;)

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I like my eggs fresh from the nest, over easy. Our hens keep us and most of our friends well supplied with eggs.
    Soft-boiled eggs MUST be tapped gently all around the pointy end with a spoon, then the top lifted off, and toast soldiers dipped into the yolk. Any other method is forbidden!
    I date my eggs so I will know which are old enough to hard boil. Any egg over a week old is a candidate. Before that, you can hard boil them, but you can't peel them nicely.
    Eggs are pretty good in quiches, too.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Interesting that so far the Hard boiled egg is a no,no!,..however two of you like freshly boiled eggs,..and both of you,.."Jane", and "Deanna",..open the egg from the narrow end,..this makes you both "Little-Endians",..as named in "Gullivers Travels",..and of course i also am a "Little-Endian",..except for this morning,..the egg was fat at both ends.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well, I like hard boiled eggs. I usually have them in the fridge for hubby and youngest daughter to have for breakfast and I like them sliced for an egg sandwich. I like egg salad and to add them to just about any other kind of salad or just cut them in half, sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy.
    I also like the YOLK best, don't much care for the white.

When we go out for breakfast I like them over medium...white solid but yolk runny, then I cut them up and mix with the hash browns. If we go someplace that doesn't serve hashbrowns, which in Texas is hard to find, then I have them scambled dry. I also love fried egg sandwiches.

I have been told by a certain male member of my family that fresh eggs are easiest to peel when you hardboil them, I grew up hearing that the older ones were easier. No use getting into the conversation that happens when the fresh eggs he brings home from the store and are almost impossible to peel. :rolleyes:
    I have a few in the fridge that are over a week old, I think I will boil them to see what happens.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I forgot to mention that I like the yolk best too! That's where all the yummy is ;)

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Breakfast when I was small appeared on the table , there were few choices. You ate what was put in front of you. Every so often an egg would appear it was in a eggcup, small end up, knife and spoon were at hand. Along with toast the egg would be dispatch in short order. I never liked dealing with the yoke, I felt it was messy and there was the good possibility of a drip on my shirt. While I would have preferred a hard boiled egg they were few and far between. Often appearing in egg salad sandwiches. When I became in charge of my own menu i never ate a soft-boiled egg again. Today I hard boil six or eight eggs and put them in the refrigerator. They disappear at the rate of about one a day. Scrambled fine, over easy fine, I like dipping toast into the yoke, hard boiled great, soft boiled is no longer an option, enough of fishing the egg out of it's shell. I wonder where that puts me in the spectrum of egg eaters?

Jerry

cherylad likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Right along with me, runny whites is not an option.

Soft boiled served in a cup, I don't think I have ever known anyone down here who ate them that way, we always figured that was for the fancy, rich people. ;)

Oh, I forgot Poached eggs.....not surreptitiously stolen. We like those sometimes, no shell to peel and healthier than fried.

cherylad likes this.
  13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i boil 9 duck eggs every few days to keep on hand in the fridge for snacking for us both. i usually peel them after i run cold water over them. i smash them delicately against the sink innards, then proceed to peel. if i wait too long they're hard to peel.

we don't use a cup. they're so good we just eat them right out of our hands, usually small side up too!

we also love devilled eggs, scrambled with fresh garlic, over medium (yolk runny but solid whites), quiche,egg salad, potato salad...

we love them any way we can get them!!! :D

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

dr says if you want a real challenge try boiling a goose egg. Ours were about three to a pound. They do not make egg cups sized for them. It is a very mild flavored egg and one makes a huge omelet, enough for two or three people. I miss having ducks and geese more than I miss having chickens.
    dooley

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I can surely sympathize with Jerry over not liking the yoke soft when he was younger,..it being messy and likely to splatter you,..and i hated runny eggs myself when a youngster,.. in particular a runny white of the egg,..they nearly had to force feed eggs to me,..but it was in boarding school where i detested eggs,..the smell of a dining room full of pupils,..all 200!!,.. cracking open 200 hard boiled eggs,..thankfully nobody ever lit a match.

At the present time i eat an egg soft or hard,..and the odd time a raw eggs,..the soft boiled egg in a cup,..lob off the narrow end as you can then get access to large spoonfuls all the way down,..but starting at the fat end i find my spoons goes through the bottom!.

Eggs direct from the fridge don't whisk as fluffy as eggs left out to get to room temperature.

Here is one for you all,..fresh eggs are usually difficult to peel when hard boiled,..but if you leave a hard boiled egg in the fridge for a week its easier to peel.

Here is a statement from scientists on the same subject,..if more than 23 days remain before the sell-by date the eggs may not peel well,..think about this.

Vitamins,..A,D,E,K,and the vitamin B are in an egg.

There are up to 17,000 pours in an egg shell,..better to dust off or use abrasive paper to clean an egg rather than water.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Philip, they always did peel easier after they were colored for Easter. they were always in the refrigerator for a while, since we colored so many. Maybe that's why peeling eggs is such a distress for me. Thanks for the tip.

Eggs shouldn't be washed, they should be sanded instead, according to my chicken book, but most people don't like that idea. As long as they come in clean from the coop, I put them right in a carton.

Eggs for hatching should not be washed, either. It washes off the protective coating from the hen.

Eggs from a free range yard are healthier. they have more vit. D, more omega 3's and less cholesterol. Plus a few more benefits, but I don't remember them exactly, from the report I read a while ago.