How Do You Like Your Eggs?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Its hard to believe there is soooo much to such a little egg,..well not so little as Dooley posted,..about boiling a Goose Egg,..i have eaten a Goose Egg,..but i made an omelet with it,..i loved it.

When i head off for the day in the boat i make up Egg and Onion sandwiches with a dash of pepper,..and some Salad Cream,..now that i like but not Mayonnaise.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I like this topic. :D

I prefer my eggs nearly soft but not quite. We call them smiling eggs. The trick is to boil them for exactly as long as it takes to harden the white and a thin lining of the yolk and leave the rest of the yolk runny. Timing and water boiling intensity's very important. I usually opt for seven minutes.

I start at the thin end when I eat the egg from the shell, but I often chop it up on a slice of bread and put lots of fatty mayonnaise on top.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

It appears everyone is in agreement about one thing,..the white of the egg must NOT be runny,..but the yoke can be either hard or soft,..but preferred soft for dunking and dipping.

[​IMG]

What a huge amount of variations in cooking the noble hen egg,..and i have picked up quite a few tips in this post,..but here is another method of cooking a boiled egg,..note not boiling a boiled egg!,..and it may not even be classed as a boiled egg,..but just a cooked egg.

Below is a Microwave container for cooking an egg in the Boiled Egg Style!,..the top comes off and is not screwed down,..the egg is placed inside.

Puncture the yoke or mix the entire egg.

Cook on Microwave setting "High",..for 10 seconds.

Remove and stir the egg,..then return for another 10 seconds or less.

So if in a hurry to work,..in less than 20 seconds you can have nourishment.

[​IMG]

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I had to look up salad cream. Introduced in the 1920's it is popular as a salad dressing and sandwich spread. During wartime due to rationing a salad cream was developed to imitate the flavor of mayonnaise. I found out that salad cream is now available in local northeast US supermarkets due to the large expatriate English population. Next time I am in the supermarket I will look for it.

Jerry

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nice one Jerry,
    i didn't know you had it in the USA,..though i suppose i should have considered Florida where there are several thousands of English residing and would have requested the import of it,..as well as you say in the local North East Supermarkets,..taste wise its not as tangy as Mayonnaise,..it does have a "Creamy taste",..and of course some of the ingredients are eggs,..apart from using it in Salads i use it to make a Prawn Cocktail Sauce,..1 egg cup full of Salad Cream,..to a half egg cup of Ketchup/Tomato Sauce.

[​IMG]

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Kroger grocery stores carry it, they have a growing section of imported foods with a good sized collection of items from the U.K.
    The ingredient list seems to be more like what over here is called Miracle Whip (aka fake Mayo) I think the only difference is that your Salad Cream contains mustard and real sugar. Mayo contains eggs too.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Toni,
    I never did a study of why i don't like Mayonnaise while i love Salad Cream!,..both have eggs of course!,..i will have to check when i have time just what has me liking one and not the other,..colour wise they are different but its in the taste.

I have shopped in Kroger Stores in Ohio and found them amazing,..the one there was huge.

Here is a recipe to convert eggs into Mayonnaise.

Making Mayonaise

8. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I like eggs hard boiled, scrambled dry (completely unrunny and not shiny at all), and poached if I can get the right consistency in the yolk. I'm pretty picky about eggs. Part of that comes from being raised next door to an egg farm. Smelling close to 9,000 chickens during a Texas summer will put you off chicken and eggs.

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning making scrambled eggs in the microwave. Put a little butter in a 2 cup microwave safe measuring cup, put in two eggs, microwave on high for 45 seconds (30 if you have a high power microwave), stir and microwave for another 20 seconds, repeat the stir and 20 second cycle until the eggs are cooked and fluffy.

Also, you can store eggs unrefrigerated for an extended period. The easiest way is to get fresh, unwashed eggs. Washed eggs lose their natural protective coating and have been exposed to oxygen. Wipe off anything sticking to the outside with dry cloth and coat each egg with a thin layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and place them in a plastic container in a dark place. They should last up to 2 years. Test them by placing them in a bowl of water before you crack them. If they float, they're bad. A quick sniff test after you crack each one wouldn't be a bad idea.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Evil Roy,
    Sailors in the Caribbean have eggs stored as you described, rubbed with Vasoline and stored in a dark hold. We were on a catamaran that had several month old eggs that tasted just fine (of course, after a few Planters' Punches our taste buds may have been compromised.)
    Somehow, I thought you (Evil Roy) would like Deviled Eggs . . . .

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Scrambled Eggs in the microwave .... whip two eggs with a little milk and a pinch of flour (just what you would pinch between you thumb and index finger)a dab of butter in the center and microwaved 1 1/2 to 2 min., depending on how dry you like yours, will give you fluffy eggs that don't collapse as they cool off. season as desired. I cook these this way for Ollie every day that he is here, and he loves them.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nice one about the Scrambled Eggs folks,..i had forgotten about that,..Omelette i have made,..and its similar to Scrambled Egg in the making.

Ingredients.

1/2 ounce of Butter.
    4 Eggs Medium.
    6 Tablespoons of Milk.
    Salt and Pepper.
    Cook on High.

1.Whisk together Eggs and Milk,and Season.
    2.Place Butter in a Flan Dish.
    3.Heat on 100p High for 1 minute until melted,coating the dish with melted Butter.
    4.Pour the Omelette into the Flan Dish,cook on 100p High for 4 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tip about storing the eggs by coating them in Vaseline,..i didn't know that one!,..and as a result it led me to the Preserving of Eggs,..of which there are several methods,..seen in the link below.

The Old Foodie: Preserving eggs, other ways.

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I never pay attention to which end I eat first, I have never even thought about it.

When you boil eggs, run them under COLD water and add ice cubes if you have some. Then chill in the fridge for a few hours, and they usually peel easily.

I like my eggs hard boiled, fried, scrambled, over easy, deviled, omeletes, etc. As long as they are not raw or the whites runny. I like them in egg salad, tater salad or other salads too. I eat at least one per day. I love to scramble them with fresh onion in them. Yummy. :stew1: I also like my eggs coddled. That is similar to scrambled, but with milk added to them and stirred a bit more.

I prefer fresh farm eggs over factory eggs any day, but cannot always get them. Right now a friend has over 70 hens, and he has been giving a number of us fresh eggs weekly. ;) My chickens lay some eggs, but guess I need to try different feed again?

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I never tasted Deviled Eggs,..never even heard of them until you all mentioned them,..yep i have tried them,..mmmmm tasty and great scope for adding different ingredients,..but nobody has mentioned "French Toast".

This is a French toast recipe with eggs and bread.
    Ingredients:

* 4 eggs
    * 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup milk
    * 10 to 12 slices white bread
    * butter
    * maple syrup or other syrup

Preparation:
    Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate; beat lightly with a fork. Stir in sugar, salt, and milk.

Over medium-low heat, heat griddle or skillet coated with a thin layer of butter or margarine.

Place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side. Soak/coat only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time.

Transfer bread slices to griddle or skillet, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side. Serve French toast hot with butter and syrup.
    Recipe for French toast serves 4.

Frank likes this.
  14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is there another version of French Toast without eggs and bread? That's the only way I have ever made it or seen it in restaurants or cookbooks.

15. aalisha

aalisha New Seed

I definitely like them poached, although poaching eggs could be tricky. I confess I still haven't perfected the art, so my second choice would be to have them soft-boiled. Less room for mistakes :)

Speaking of poaching, does anyone have any tips on making foolproof poached eggs?