How do you spent your extra time.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I do genealogy. The time flies quickly when I do the research and all of a sudden it's dinner and nighty-night. If I have just a small slot to fill I grab a colouring book for adults. This is in winter time and in awful weather, mind, because if it's gardening weather I'm out there, just like you used to be.

Logan likes this.
  2. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

I tend to have more spare time during the Winter months as we're usually outside from dawn to dusk in the Spring/Summer.

I started researching into my maternal family tree back in 2011 while laid up for 4 months recovering from surgery. I still dabble a bit into the family tree but think I have reach the stage that without personally visiting places and looking through church/ parish registers I have reached a final limit...I have managed to go back to the early 1600''s but it gets decidedly more difficult before the times of the Census and credible records/ registration keeping.

I love to knit during the Winter but tend to only do small makes now..love making topical toy items for my 2 Great nephews and adding to my ever growing collection of matching cowls and fingerless gloves ( which are so handy in this day and age of keypads everywhere you go.).

I always buy a couple of new large jigsaw puzzles each Autumn to see me through the Winter evenings.

Play a couple of daily games of Suduko and Mahjong to, hopefully keep the brain cells on their toes.

I'm an online member of our County Library and always have at least 2 books out on loan throughout the whole year.

My hubby and I try to go out for a whole day at least once a week usually only local within a 30 mile radius. We decided to try and limit our use of the car in our bid to be kinder to the environment.. We really enjoy using buses / trains as we both get to relax and enjoy the passing scenery. We pick places that we may very well have been to many times but now I research first for the historical facts and places of interest that often as locals we tend to overlook.

We love walking especially in the New Forest or South Downs.

I love going to the cinema but as my hubby isn't keen I go with either one or two friends a couple of times a month.
    Likewise I love cafe culture and regularly meet with various friends for a coffee+ cake catch up.

We tend not to go away for any lenght of time until the cooler months as we need to keep up with tending to the garden and watering the plants.

Love going up in Autumn/ Winter to stay with our adult sons (or occasionally mid Spring for a long weekend ) they live up in London and I love it up here. Both my parents where Londoners so my extended family were all living up there. I love the London 'buzz' although hubby is less keen and always sighs with relief when we open our own front door!!

I have recently began ,with a couple of old school friends , to endeavour to keep in more regular contact with each other. Time is passing so quickly so our precious get togethers are very important. One lives on the Isle of Wight so my other friend and I have very good excuses for regularly jumping on a Red Funnel Ferry now!!

I also have two of my siblings and nieces with their families living local so all in all we have very little days of wondering what to do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Frank, Logan and Doghouse Riley like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti you have an interesting fun, full life and staying busy is a must as we age. Staying active and involved with family and friends is a great way to keep up with life thru activities , friends and family.
    My aunt used to knit toys for the kids when they were small, still have a few. They last forever.

Logan and Oreti like this.
  4. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thank you @Pacnorwest , yes I have no complaints and am enjoying my retirement immensely.
    When my Great Nephews were born I began knitting them some unique Christmas decorations, they have now got quite a nice collection.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Knit Christmas decorations … that is a really a nice way to celebrate the season and collect keepsakes that can be used yearly. I have not seen any, some that hang on the tree types?

Logan and Oreti like this.
  6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Yes most are to hang on the little Xmas trees that their parents set up in their bedrooms for them to decorate..

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Very nice way to celebrate the season. I leave my 16’,Christmas tree up all year. It also becomes a BD tree , every holiday tree decorated to match the celebration.. fall, spring, summer, winter. It started out that it was to heavy for me to climb up the ladder with a heavy section place it properly. So I just leave it up all year. It’s turned out to be a way to change the look for seasonal items from the garden.

Sjoerd, Oreti and Logan like this.
  8. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti thanks :)