How do you use garlic?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Palm Tree, Feb 26, 2008.

1. trudy

trudy In Flower

Yes Flower I do. Mine is old though an doesn't have the temp settings. So I can't say what temp it is on. You would dry them til they are slightly brittle, then I store them in a canning jar til I need them.

2. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

Thanks, Trudy. I think I will dry some next yr.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I haven't had great success growing garlic. I always end up with tiny little cloves! I love to use it when cooking and my oldest daughter is a HUGE fan of Garlic Bread and Cheese :)

4. trudy

trudy In Flower

Netty, mine don't get really big either like the ones you can buy in the stores. So I plant extra to make up for that. Last couple of years I added Bulb Booster to the planting hole an I believe it helped in the size. Not that it made them huge, but I think it did help some.

Advertisement
  5. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Last few years, I've been using garlic cloves planted in with tomatoes grown in containers to ward off bugs, found it really WORKS! I purchase loose garlic bulbs at the local store, remove only the outter large cloves for use, poke a hole in soil with my finger and plant them same time as I transplant tomatoes, usually 3-4 cloves per container, several inches away from tomato insert. Cloves don't really "bulb up" to any great size by fall, but have noticed a big decline in flying/chewing critters and diseases.
    Garlic is also great in homemade pestos (especially basil), using MORE than the recipe calls for for added flavor. A real quick "garlic bread" can be made using the pesto atop slices of Italian bread, topping off with a bit of extra parmesan cheese and popping under the broiler til hot and bubbly..is simply delicious!
    Bug spray for your garden: Take 3 oz. of chopped garlic and let soak in 2 tsp. of mineral oil for 24 hours. Then slowly add a pint of water to which 1/4 oz. of liquid dish soap has been dissolved and stir well. Strain liquid thru fine gauze and store only in a GLASS container. Use it in a dillution of one part solution to 20 parts water to begin with, then one to 100 thereafter. Apply to plants as a spray.

6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Trudy: And it was recommended that by slicing it into 1/2" thick slices an dehydrating them they would be as good as the day I dryed them.
    I don't know why I never thought of doing this as I have done fruit before.
    This is a great idea, I'm going to give it a try. I have garlic growing in the house to put out this spring and hopefully the ones in the garden will come up also.

7. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Great stuff Weeds n seeds. :)
    I like the bug spray idea.

8. meeleend

meeleend New Seed

Hi Palm Tree,
    I am not growing ginger but i use it in morning tea,and many more in food. :stew1:

9. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

A few things I do with garlic, is sterlize some jars, then peel and crush the garlic with some oil, in a food processor or something like it. place in the jars, seal, water bath, and your good forever just about.

Another way is the same as above, but I roast the garlic in the oven with skin and all. very low, just to when it almost carmelizes. then squeeze out the garlic, add a little oil, then do as above. Roasted garlic has all the benifits as the raw garlic just the taste is alot milder and nuttier. Something different.

As far as the tips goes, i use garlic in Balders food at least once a week all yr round. As a spray for plants. And also as a part of a ground treatment with seaweed and nettles. So theres not much i can add, since everyone did such a wonderful job explaining it all,,,

10. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

What great tips. I have had problems with weevils and resorted to buying a Food Saver machine. Before that, I was constantly throwing flour out. Aphids on plants are a problem here, I am going to mix up a batch of garlic water tonight. I cook with garlic a lot, I will have to set some aside to plant. I haven't tried growing it here as it is very inexpensive but now I want to try!

11. trudy

trudy In Flower

TBL have you tried storing your flour in the freezer or fridge. Thats where I keep my extra til I need some. I keep corn meal an even extra grits in the freezer to. I use to have a problem loosing them to weavils til I started keeping them in the freezer.

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

We use garlic in a lot of food. It's great grated and added to a bit of Italian dressing for garlic bread. When using in sauces, etc, add at almost the final minutes as cooking lessens the beneficial components.
    Chewing parsley also helps rid the breath of garlic scent. Oh, if only everyone would eat garlic, how healthy we would all be.
    Some good ideas I have picked up here.

13. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I love garlic...but my favourite use of garlic is to roast it. I cut the tops off of whole heads and put it in tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 450 until it is golden and soft. It is soooooooo sweet. I mix it with butter and make roasted garlic bread....I mix it with carmelized onions and thyme and mix it into sour cream and it is the best dip you have ever had....

14. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

I roast my garlic all the time. For an extra yummy butter for bread, atop a filet, etc., I roast a head of garlic with just a little olive oil. Then I add the roasted garlic to 1/2 stick of butter and gorgonzola cheese to taste. My family and friends love garlic so I cook with it all the time.
    When my daughter was seriously ill with Lyme's disease, she was treated with massive doses of antibiotics via her PIC line. She had a lot of problems with side effects from the antibiotics- research showed that garlic and yogurt counteracted the side effects. She tried garlic pills but preferred eating garlic in her food to the pills. We were so gareteful to see her recovering that no amount of garlic breath bothered us!