How little is too little light for hydrangeas?

Discussion in 'Hydrangea' started by faunsnyder, Oct 21, 2007.

?

Will filtered light work for hydrangeas?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2007.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. faunsnyder

faunsnyder New Seed

Ok so if you read my blog you will have a better idea of what I'm looking at in terms of my yard. But a quick rundown is that I have a big maple in my yard as well as a bunch of privet that I have recently cut down. The area used to get enough light for grass to grow, but since the trees have grown the shade has gotten thicker. My husband and I cut down all the privet and trimmed the big tree which opened up the area to more light. We live in Alabama so our summers are dry and hot. I would say the area gets filtered light all day long. I want to plant lots of Hydrangeas and I read an article about a woman who had planted Hydrangeas on a hillside behind her house that got filtered light and they were doing wonderful.
    So I would like anyone's thoughts about this subject. I know Hydrangeas get pretty droopy in the full Alabama sun, so I would think they would like the filtered light and shade from the heat.
    Thanks everyone.

2. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Hydrangeas grows better in filtered light. Flowers can stay much longer in partially shaded place. Some species (red color) even prefer to completely shaded area.

3. faunsnyder

faunsnyder New Seed

Thanks

Thanks nan,
    hope to see you more. Keep up with my posts I can always use advice from more experienced gardeners.