How many aeration holes per square foot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Dirtmechanic, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I bought an aerator and ran it across the lawn, conservatively. Following up, I read lawn industry people saying holes every 2 inches might be a target number. Thats a lot. I can see it if they get paid once per year, but having the equipment I can run it at my pleasure and the recovery time is faster without tearing up the yard so much. The lawn is Burmuda in the sun and fescue in the shade areas. What would you suggest?

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

The aeration of our golf club greens is done mechanically. A tractor attachment "hollow tines" them to a depth of 9". The soil pulled out is then brushed away.
    At other times they are just "tined," to about 6". The holes are all around 6" apart in every direction. Given the consistent quality of our greens, I'd say that, that would be close enough.
    I never tine our lawn. The soil is a bit sandy being alluvial soil of the original Mersey flood plain and then farmland.
    I see a lot of worm casts on the lawn so I think they aerate it sufficiently. All I ever do is give it a couple 3 in 1 treatments and an occasional feed during the year. Also a bit of scarifying, but "I don't go mad with it."
    It does get mowed pretty regularly, but only with a Flymo, I can't be bothered with stripes, I do keep it quite short.

[​IMG]

Dirtmechanic and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am glad you got some advice Dirt. I had no clue.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

It is most interesting to learn of actual examples. For instance, the 9 inch and 6 inch depths are probably also related to a larger diameter hole. The depth and diameter equates to a certain surface area for oxygen and what have you. In the case of my little machine running 3 inches, and having a smaller diameter plug, I immediately gravitate to the idea that more holes in my clay would eventually prove useful. I think this because there is less surface area and more airspace in sandy soils vs my pure clay so more exposure to air would be needed to make "equal" aeration of clay. Also my tines being short enough to not stab things like tv cable lines underground means less exposed surface area as well. If I added a pass for clay and another for tine size, then a 6 inch spacing comes down to 2 inch spacing, a number I mentioned earlier that was given as advice. I will probably run another pass this weekend, and wait until late spring to observe the greenup. 3 passes could definitely be "going mad with it" as @Doghouse Riley said so I am thinking to just ease into the routine.