How much to charge for freelance design work?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by pkarwinski, Jun 18, 2007.

1. pkarwinski

pkarwinski New Seed

Hey I am doing some freelance design work in London for two bars. They are getting renovated, and I am in charge of the lighting. On top of this I using my CAD programs to give the clients a 3d visualization of how the place will look when it is done. So far I have been working for over a month but am not sure how much I should charge for the jobs? Any ideas out there?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there pkarwinski. I have sent you a Private Message (PM) with a web address that may be of some use to you.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi pkarwinski, without knowing the full background here I personally think maybe you should have agreed an hourly rate with the client before beginning the design work. I really hope that whatever rate you come up with that they don't turn around and say that's way too much.

Have you had a look at various job sites around the Web? You may find some clues there to gauge how much you should charge. I'm sorry I can't provide a more complete answer but as there are a lot of variables here (experience, complexity of work etc...) it is difficult to accurately give a figure.

Best of luck!

4. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

$25 an hour!

5. pkarwinski

pkarwinski New Seed

Thanks for the help guys. This is my first paying project, thats why I was unsure. But right now I am mainly making 3D animations to give my clients a visual concept of what we will be doing, before actually doing it, to make sure it looks the way it should. I think I am gonna start charging per animation. Then per hour for the actual installations.
    Thanks for all your feedback,
    Peter