How to control grass and weeds from spreading?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by HerbGod15, Apr 28, 2011.

1. HerbGod15

HerbGod15 New Seed

I will get a picture up later. I have this giant backyard next to a river. And I'm planting herbs to sell them. I am going to rotertill the ground up too. How should I control the grass and weeds from spreading to the garden area?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

While I am always trying to grow grass, keeping it under control, how about black plastic over the area to kill weeds and grass.

Jerry

4. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

Newspaper! Lay several layers of newspaper down and it will control the weeds. Add soil on top then plant your herbs put some mulch around them Also it will naturally desintergrate into the soil - no need for any chemicals or nasty stuff like that.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I agree with Kate, but would suggest that you cut an X in the newspaper and plant in the hole. The newspaper will act as yet another layer of mulch.
    If you put enough soil on top of the newspaper to plant the deeper rooted herbs (sage, dill, etc.) you'll just have weeds appear in the soil.
    Be sure to wet the newspaper well as you are putting it down. Otherwise, you'll be air mailing the news to the next town!

6. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

Yep, I forgot about the X in the newspaper. Thanks marlingardener!! I'll usually hold the newspaper down with a brick/stone and then add some soil, stick the plant in where the X is and then wet it, add more soil and then water again.