How to deal with the jungle in the back yard

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dandmkirby, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dandmkirby

dandmkirby New Seed

I recently bought my first home. The back yard is overgrown with weeds, grass, wild grass, pepperment, many other wild plants that I don't even know what they are.

I do not plan to lay down sod until next spring. Meanwhile, what can I do to tame this monstrocity. Is there something I can apply to the whole area (it's about 400 sqft) to just kill everything, and then the soil be OK by spring to plant sod?

What else would I need to do prepare it for sod?

Sorry, this might be basic, but it's my first yard.

Happy weekend!

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

If you don't want to use chemicals you can mow the lawn and lay down black plastic. By next spring that should kill the grass.

4. Hank

Hank Seedling

Ortho's Roundup. Kills all and is safe in 7 days. But it will kill ALL it touches. Be very carefull!

5. dkirby

dkirby New Seed

I have a similar issue - almost identical in fact. But, I would prefer to use chemicals - I'm just not sure what to get. I've checked at Home Depot and there are just so many types of products, I'm not sure what to get for this purpose. Need to kill everything(wild grass and weeds), but eventually, will want to plant a yard.

6. dkirby

dkirby New Seed

Thanks Hank! I sent my reply before I saw your recommendation for Ortho Roundup