How to Encourage and Support Bats?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Daniel W, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today I listened to a radio program about bats. There was lots of information, such as some bats are pollinators, and some eat their body weight in insects, such as mosquitos, every night.

What they didn't say was how to attract or support bat populations. Apparently, some are in decline (like most things in nature). I looked at various articles, and most had nothing I could do - like keep old dead trees standing as nesting places, and keeping wetlands growing with lots of cottonwoods.

Batboxes seem expensive. They need to be installed at least 12 feet above the ground. I might be able to do that ONCE. However, the article I read said they should not be installed on trees, because cats and raccoons can climb and eat them. My neighborhood has a lot of feral cats, and some racoons.

I don't know that there is anything I can do. Any experiences to share?

Thanks for reading.

This reminds me of when I read about barn owls. I put up a nesting box ten years ago, It's never been used by barn owls!

2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Mine lives in my gazebo. It's a squatter really as I built the thing for my propane grill. I really do not like them near my house as our county is rated extreme for rabies infestation. The animal defecates where it nests and that matter may well be infected with something that won't wash off in the case of rabies. I think supporting them away from a home is best. One would not want them close enough to hear any snide comments about your decorating abilities.

Melody Mc., Daniel W, eileen and 2 others like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

We have a few bats that live in a section of the barn roof. They are interesting to watch at dusk in summers . Watching them zoom in for flying insects is entertaining and how fast they clean up skeeters is really helpful.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Interesting thread, this. Our council / municipality places bat and bird nests at various places across the city. The usual places are in parks and along some leafy streets. If I look out my living room window, I can see two bat boxes from here. They are in very tall trees along the dike on which our home is situated.

Councils in the country in general and here in particular are open to requests from residents for nature-friendly things. All kinds of things like bee-friendly median and berm planting of flowers. One council even gave our beekeepers’ club a free plot of land to keep bees on…with a gate!

So Daniel, if you want to do something you could begin with your municipal body…or even the Jaycees.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

@Daniel W if I were to build a bat box here it would need at least a mild insulation with a southern exposure. Airflow is key since insects give you gas, so a North flat but South slatted construction with solid wind walls East and West. Sound solar? It is in winter but needs daytime cooling in summer. The south face of my shed is popular, with mosquito screen for tiny claws to grasp covered by slotted wood gable venting through which to crawl or defend from aggressive birds or bugs.

You could make them a Tiny Cave Home I bet, using sono tube for concrete pouring with mosquito screen up top and slatted end caps. It would need waterproofing so a roll shingle works, especially if it's up on a fir strip to allow cooling air underneath.

Even if you succeed in attracting a bat do not feel bad if they leave certain times of the year. Evidently bats are quite rich and have several homes that they visit throughout the year depending on weather and where the mosquito fishing is best.

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

When we had our koi pool we got several bats flying over it at dusk, in the summer, catching flying insects.

7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks for all of the great comments!

The more I think about this, the more I think it is something I must do. As they say, "The devil is in the details". One of my most used expressions.

It's possible I could buy a tall pole to install a bat house. I dont know if they make them long enough, and I will have to transport it.

The owl box is on a movable basketball hoop stand. That might be an option too.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Good luck with your pole and bat condo. Too bad you can’t take my flag pole that’s under the big leaf maple tree. (Obviously the pole came long before the tree.o_O)

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I just wanted to say hello, Jewell. Delightful to see you again.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Bats are amazing Daniel. We have so so many bugs that we are always excited when we see them. They sometimes find their way inside - so that always gets exciting with a fishing net, or walking to an open door while holding a blanket.

We're quite worried this year about White Nose fungus, as it is proving fatal for the little brown bat population. They need all of the help they can get.

We are cautious of rabies also, as it is high among our little brown bats. If anyone is acting weird by being out at daytime, we avoid them.

I don't know if this link helps you. It is for the Canadian Wildlife Federation. It offers info about how to build your own, what they need. A female bat only has one pup a year, and in the spring in when she is looking for a place to have her baby. A smaller scale shelter for this may be a start?

https://cwf-fcf.org/en/explore/bats...MI7NSt3uKf_gIVesjjBx2DGQhiEAAYASAAEgLtffD_BwE

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Texas bat cave have you seen the largest bat cave in the world. Only in Texas …

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.