How to get rid of Chiggers?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by StarLiteFarms, Jun 1, 2007.

1. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

OMG! I think i have chigger pox! I swear, chiggers just love me for some reason!!! Never fails that i dont have at least 1 chigger bite all summer long.. but as of now, i think theres about 20 on me!! Nothing seems to keep them at bay! Anyone know natural ways to get rid of them in the yard?? I sprinkled poison down at first but that only worked for a short while... Im just afraid of letting my daughter play in a poison filled yard. Thanks in advance!

Sarah

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

yipe, every time I think about moving away from my overtaxed place I read something like that! So sorry to hear about your plague, seems I read somewhere that they don't like penneyroyal?

4. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

Just a side note...Chiggers and Skeeters are really attracted to preg. women :eek: . I found out the hard way a couple of years ago...lol

5. MyGirlFriday

MyGirlFriday Seedling

don't chiggers like tall grass or weeds???
    I know that every year when we would go to the church picnic we would get them~all over!
    Cover the bites with clean nail polish to kill them out~
    I have even been known to use what ever color I can find~imagine explaining red spots all over! lol
    mgf~ :sete_039:

Advertisement
  6. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

We have our back and front yard mowed down most the time. Just seem to sniff me out i supose. Poor lil toddler has 5 bites right around her leg by her diaper. ): I guess we are just going to have to use the sprinkle poison again for now and stay out of the yard a couple of days.

As for being pregnant with chigger bites,.. I didnt have to worry about that while i was preg. I got preg middle of summer thru winter (;

I know mosquitos are attracted to body odor but wasps are attracted to sweet perfumed Deodarant! (; LOL take your pick! (;

7. gardengreenie

gardengreenie New Seed

Do you have any areas in your yard that stay damp?

or any areas with alot of leaves or old dead wood? that is where the chiggers like to lie in wait for you! I have had the same problem, and unfortunately, the only recommended treatment is to use a chemical poison, but they don't usually infect the whole yard. I only spray along the tree line in my yard now, and that seems to control them pretty well.

8. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

I remember when I was in basic training our drill sergeant told us to break the match heads off and eat them. He said that would keep bugs from biting because of the sulfur...We did it, and I don't remember getting many bugs bites. That was in South Carolina at the end of summer.
    But, I'm not sure how true that is...I had never heard it before, and haven't heard it since. But it's an idea, if you want to try it.

9. pharmerphil

pharmerphil New Seed

of course there are controls out there, but a very simple, non poisonous way to keep them away during a picnic (provided your NOT, rolling around in the grass)..
    is to put an unbroken "band" of vaseline around your ankles, at a point higher than your grass...the lil buggers can't or won't go past this greasy barrier!