How to keep Rose Of Sharon bushes healthy during the winter?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi there, can you tell me if there is anything I can do to keep my Rose Of Sharon bushes healthy through out the winter? Should I put pine needles around the base of all of them? Thanks for any help.
    I planted them 2 years ago and last year the rabbits ate then all right down to ground level. This year they managed to grow 2 feet tall and just 2 weeks ago they got flowers.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

I have a new ROS that I just planted last year
    I covered it with one of those pfoam plant protectors
    over winter and this spring/early summer the bunnies chewed mine up so I put a little fence made out of wire mesh around it and it is coming back up

Do you have leaves? I would just put some leaves around it to protect it is it in a windy area?

you may not have to do much of anything if it is in a protected area

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A good layer of leaves/mulch and get some burlap from a fabric store to wrap around the trees as insulation from the cold. And hopefully they are in an area protected from wind.

Bluewolf's idea of a wire mesh fence around the tree is good. When we had some rabbits in our neighborhood a few years ago I was buying chicken wire by the large rolls to keep them away from everything.

I have also heard that giving plants a good watering just before a freeze will help prevent damage to the roots during the winter. They are frozen at a steady temp and won't get any colder as the temperature drops.

5. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

For the yard customers who have Rose of Sharon I do not put anything around them. However, these are all quite big in the base.