How To Kill a Sega Palm?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cherylad, Jun 27, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

One of my aunts has this rather old large Sega Palm growing right near her house. She wants it gone. If she can't find someone to come and dig it up, she wants to kill it.

[​IMG]
    sega palm 2010 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

This photos is from last year.
    I suggested trying to dig it up. That whole flower bed needs work... and not just by hand. There's a couple of plants she likes in it... mainly the Dinner Plate Hibiscus. So, to me...wiping the slate almost clean would be the way to go. But then there's the water line that runs right there.
    So maybe poisoning it would be easier?
    From what I found online, it said to cut it almost to the ground and then treat it with a herbicide.
    Glyphosate should be the main ingredient. I looked it up and the common store brands are Roundup, Rodeo, and Pond Master (never heard of the last two).
    I really have my doubts that Roundup would kill this thing. Heck.. it barely kills the weeds around here!

Any suggestions on how to safely get rid of this?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Roundup would have been my suggestion. or try that brush and vegetation killer marketed for poison ivy. maybe it is a little stronger. Alternate with roundup and 2,4-d a couple of times, if it looks like it needs something else to hurry it dead. 2,4-d is a broad leaf herbicide and I would think that this plant would fall in that range. 2,4-d won't kill monocotyledons, only dicotyledons.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    Is there a private landscaper/nursery near you? If you tell them that they can have the palm if they will carefully dig it up with the water line in mind, you may be able to get rid of the Sago and also make a friend for life! I managed to get rid of three very large Cow's Tongue cacti that way. Why anyone would want that cacti is beyond me, but perhaps it went to an industrial, low-maintenance planting.
    Give your Sago a new lease on life!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Carolyn.... I'm jotting down your suggestions now.

Jane... My aunt has asked a few individuals if they wanted it, but no one has taken her up on the offer.
    There are several small family-owned nurseries along the highway I drive everyday.
    I'll ask my aunt if she'd like for me contact one of them about it.
    I like that idea better than poisoning it. I know there's a few plants in there that she doesn't want to get rid of or hurt. Especially her late husband's favorite... that white dinner plate hibiscus.

Thanks to both of you for the advice!