How to make a flower gardener's day

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by cherylad, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had a typical grueling Monday at work. My sister will be here tomorrow night for a week's visit. Hubby will be back on Saturday. So I had some serious grocery shopping to do (not a favorite task).
    I finally make it home and what do I see?
    My "good" brother is just standing there in my flower garden area and has a big smile on his face. (For any newcomers, he and one of my other brothers known here as "the dragon" and myself are co-owners of our childhood home).
    I ask "What's up? Playing with Sassy (my dog)?"
    His reply... "Nope. Just enjoying your flower garden! There's yellow butterflies... and some other ones... And two hummingbirds have been playing tag... And one of the prettiest red birds I've ever seen was at the feeder... And some Mockingbirds were splashing in the bird bath. And those flowers over there are still looking pretty. Can you start some of these over here for me? What's this one called again?"
    Talk about lifting one's spirits!
    Plus he helped bring in the groceries. And being a married man for 30+ years, said "I'll just let you put them away because I don't know exactly where you want everything."
    Then he congratulates me on my watering-wisely efforts because the bill actually went down a few dollars.
    And he brought over his power mitre saw for Hubby to use for the various home-improvement and fun projects.
    We chat over a couple of cold beers (which he supplied) while discussing plans for our sister's visit. Then he heads back to his home.
    Yep... he sure made my day!

Frank, stratsmom, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I like your story. Sometimes I feel I do all the flower gardening myself. Especially when after a couple of days, I go to the country to see parents and work for 2-3 hours in my garden and everything is dry, more-so the ones in pots.
    But my parents really got more than they can handle with the veggies and animals and everything.
    But I know they appreciate it !
    They also love flowers :)

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You know there are times when brothers aren't so bad after all!! It's not often one appreciates what a sister does. Yours obviously likes what you are doing in the garden and loves to see the wildlife you're attracting too. Care to pass him over here? ;)

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Now wasn't that just the nicest thing? I can't think of a nicer experience...especially after such a tough day at the office, so to speak. These are enderaing moments I suspect that you will not forget.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, it sure is nice to get a 'pat on the back' once in a while, isn't it? :)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Your brother sounds like a keeper. That is such a nice thing to have.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yes... I agree, definitely a keeper! There's about a 7 year age gap between us (and 2 more brothers between us also), so we weren't particularly close as youngsters. I was just that pain-in-the-rear little sister.
    ;)
    But as adults, I've come to realize that he and I are most alike in our thinking. We get along swimmingly!
    Not to say that I don't get along with my other brothers, I do. They are just plain NUTS sometimes! :p

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a nice brother, thankfully 'the Dragon' hasn't rubbed off on him. ;)

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Now that was a very nice post to read,..a nice meeting to make the day and put you in a feel good mood Cheryl.

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Yes very nice to him to help and just sit. been trying to get my brother to teach me things about taking pictures.he teaches that at local college. and more things about CP. He's a program designer. But no luck. Baby Sis -she's 20 years younger then me and BIL . They are coming this weekend. To help work on our house. Want to have her pick out plants I will divide later for her garden.