How to prevent Squirrels eating from bird feeder

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by whistler, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have seen those rococo but never used them. I have cheap feeders that have wire around them too that the squirrels have never got into, I would call them squirrel proof too. If you buy the cheap plastic feeders they will chew them if they don't have other food but mine are metal and they cannot ruin them.

[​IMG]
    Squirrel Buster Plus feeder ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Wire cage built around the feeder... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

2. whistler

whistler Seedling

I think we have the feeder lowered enough because I haven't seen the squirrels come back. One of these days I'm going over to the wild bird feed store in the next town because I'm sure they have feeders that will stop a squirrel. The wire around the feeder wouldn't work because I have blue jays, woodpeckers, and robins that come to eat and they wouldn't fit.

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I have heard people say that squirrels don't eat safflower seeds. Well no one told my squirrels that. They love them. So does our resident chipmunk.
    One of the reasons squirrels eat suet blocks is because of the seeds they put in them. I feed straight beef suet I buy at my local grocery store.
    Those cakes can be really costly. The beef suet last so much longer and doesn't melt to much when it get warmer out.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Those darn squirrels :rolleyes: We have so many in our big mature tree lined neighborhood. We watch them doing the tightrope walk along the fences, chasing each other all around and up and down, they chatter at us and the critters when we're out in "their backyard",
    I hear them running on the roof, and then see them jump into the Crabapple. A few of them have been jumping onto the feeder from the tree branches, and getting their fill of sunflower seeds. So yesterday, I got out the ladder to trim the branches away so it might deter them, at least temporarily...

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

All my feeders sit on 20 or 40 feet of 16 gauge stainless steel wire. in 20 years one squirrel has mastered the high wire act. He may have been visiting since I only witnessed his performance twice. Three seed feeders and two suet feeders remain safe and secure. The squirrels and chipmunks eat only the rejects from the birds.

Jerry