how to remove moss

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by petals, Nov 16, 2011.

1. petals

petals Seedling

We have a lot of brick pathways that are getting mossy and I am looking for a homemade recipe to keep this under control. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Petals,

I don't think there is any good long term solution to keeping the moss away, unless you give the area shrubs and or trees a severe pruning to let more light in. The moss will just keep growing back. You must have nice heavy shade and a fairly moist or damp micro climate, IDEAL conditions for moss. My FIL is forever and a day worrying over the moss in his lawn under the tree, every time he treats it it grows right back. I keep telling him....

4. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Bleach will kill it, but in a moist shady environment it will probably continue to be a problem.

5. petals

petals Seedling

thank you for your replies. We have had a huge Norway spruce removed so that may ease the problem a little, letting in more light.

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Moss likes shade and acidic (damp) soil. Regular application of limestone & sunlight will reduce your green fuzz.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

If you don't mind your area smelling like a fish'n'chip-shop you could try with 37% vinegar diluted 1-3 with water. It helps a bit but not for very long I'm afraid.

8. petals

petals Seedling

Thank you Droopy. I love fish and Chips and will be trying your Vinegar tip tomorrow. Good of you to reply to my post.