How to save a picture (regular size) and do the resizing for

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Sherry8, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I do my resizing and it says saves all...but where do they save them? I can't find them in my photo album...just the resized one I have. I want to save the original one so I can print them off later...instead of making a copy of the smaller resized ones that I use on here and other sites.I have windows 7 and I use the office manager for resizing. Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Dont know Office Manager, but when you have resized you obviously click on Save or Save As. Does Save As give you the option to name the picture and where to save it. Certainly in most programs there is that option.

To find your pictures use Search (if you can remember the name you gave the photo). Then use the Open File containing option. This should take you to the place where your picture is stored.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I click save all and when I go through my pictures, I just have the ones that are made smaller or resized for websites. I don't know why it says save all and I can't find them. I don't name every picture I take...I take hundreds in a day sometimes. thanks any way.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Double click on My Documents

Right click on empty space in that My Documents Folder

Click New

Click on Folder, then name it.

That's where you save your photos before you resize them. When you do resize you will have to rename the photo so it won't override the bigger, higher quality original.
    I usually just use the same name but add a 1 or 2 at the end. That way I know which is which when I get ready to upload them to GS or where ever.

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Sadly if you just save after resizing without renaming then you write over the original large pictures.
    There is a dedicated Picrues folder in Windows 7. Rather than using My Documents, open a new file in Pictures.
    As a matter of interest, how do you upload your pictures from your camera to your computer?

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Palustris...I just put my memory card into the computer and it downloads my pictures. so easy this way. I click on save all after I resize so I thought I was saving the original...I found out I wasn't when someone asked me to send them the original and I couldn't find them.

Thank you Toni...and Palustris..I will try your way.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

How can you save them there, do you make a copy of it first to downsize? I tried what you said but it didn't work.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sherry, the following is from my hubby......
    It sounds like you're using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I'm not familiar with that package, but it may have some settings in Preferences to allow you to save to a different name using Save All. You can also try using Save As to see if there's a way to assign a new name to all of the pictures at once. Some photo packages will automatically rename a resized file by adding something to the name. Most cameras number the pictures and the name will be 12345.jpg, 12346.jpg, etc. The packages will resize the pictures and name them 12345_rs.jpg, 12346_rs.jpg, etc. I used EasyThumbs from http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/ when I was using Windows and it automatically renamed the files when updating the size as a batch.

10. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

When I put the memory card from my camera into the computer it comes up with a Wizard like this :-

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Palustris's Garden )
    Is that what you see?

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Yes, Palustris....that is what I see and I pick the top one.
    I have tried a few different things and no luck...I am wondering if I should install my canon disk for my pictures to see if I can save in that. I did not like Picasa , it seemed to have taken some of my pictures or deleted them...I could not find them anywhere.

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

toni...it sounds like that website makes all thumbnails for your pictures if I understand it right. Thumbnails are too hard on my eyes...too small for the number of pictures I do. Thank you anyways.

13. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Ok Sherry. When you Click on the top one, do you see this?

[​IMG]

In which case you probably give your pictures a name. I usually call mine after where I took the pictures and when EG. My garden July2010.

On pressing Import, the pictures should load to a folder called My garden 2020 in the Pictures folder on your computer. You should see a screen like this.

[​IMG]

With me so far?

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just put the name of what the pictures are, flowers and birds, etc.and they go into a folder for that date.

My pictures always go into my pictures library with all my other pictures. I am not sure of all the stuff on the left showing up...I never paid any attention and I will wait until I have more photos to look for it.

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Palustris may I interrupt, :) In the case when you do not specify a path where you want your imported pictures to go, then by default it will go to "Libraries - Pictures files". In order to specify where you want the photos to go, click on "Import settings" on the bottom left hand corner of the "import Pictures and Videos" window and this will pop up.

[​IMG]
    Pic Manager ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

From here you can specify the location and folder that you want your photos to be imported to. You can also set other options as to how this import thing behave :)

Sherry just a little tip that I do whenever I want to edit my photos using any kind of software, I just make a copy and edit those are copied. In this way if I were to make a irrevisible mistake, I can always go back to the original and make another copy. In this way I am always sure that my originals are always there when I need them. If they are really important, I would also save a copy otside the computer hard disc and a copy on the net like Picassa. Hope that this can help solve your problems.

Palustris, very sorry for the interruption. :)

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

That is my problem...how do I make a copy so the original is saved...I want the original saved is what I can't find.

When I click copy I do not see a copy of it...and it doesn't tell me where it is.