How to save a picture (regular size) and do the resizing for

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Sherry8, Jul 17, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When I move the original from the memory card to the named folder that is saving it. Then you use it to make a copy that is resized and renamed. Then by renaming the resized copy you have both the original and the copy.

Maybe you are looking for a step that isn't needed?

2. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

When I resize it just saves the resized one and the original is gone...that is my problem. I have just been playing and clicked on file location and then I clicked on the area that says copy but it does not show where the copy is and I do not have duplicates to downsize.

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I do not have an area to name my resized photo...nothing comes up...just when I download my pictures I can.

4. toni

On the page shot that Palustris posted, instead of using the one he has highlighted scroll further down to the first option under General Options and click on Open folder to view files. Double click that, choose My Documents, create/name a folder and move the photos into that. Then work from there

Microsoft Office chooses where your photos go but thru My Documents you get to choose where they go and you can find them again.

Advertisement
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Even when I go into Microsoft picture manager and click save on the left size in the file before I downsize it, I cannot find the original picture I saved, then I go to resize it and when I come back , I only have the picture I resized.

I always had the original before I got windows 7 with no problem but this has changed.

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

toni...even if I put them in another area I don't think it would make a difference. I can find my original pictures, I just can't save my originals any more with w7 when I resize for posting here.

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Now we is getting somewhere.
    To make a Copy of all the pictures in a Folder is really easy.
    Open the folder you want to copy.
    Go to the top left hand side of the Screen and Left Click on Edit.
    In the Drop down menu left click on Select All.
    All the pictures in the folder should turn blue ('Tis the cold )
    Left Click on Edit again.
    In the Drop down Menu Left Click on Copy to Folder.
    In the Wizard which appears, left click on 'Make New Folder'
    The words New Folder will appear in blue. Just type in what you want to call your folder and press Enter.
    The new folder will turn grey with the name you gave it.
    Left Click on Copy
    All you pictures will then be copied into the folder which you just created.

8. toni

I used to get so frustrated when I first started on the computer because it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. Randy reminded me that it does what the program tells it to not what the user wants it to do. That's why he set up our folders under My Documents, we had more control then.

I Windows XP, that was okay. My youngest daughters new laptop came with Vista and after she 'beat it into submission' it now works okay for her. I am learning Linux and GIMP now and sometimes I really miss the ease of WindowsXP and Photoshop when it comes to the photos. :rolleyes:

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Do you have to copy the whole folder or can you do just the pictures you want to share?

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't have an edit area on the screen when I highlight the album...

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

toni...why would you have more control in documents? I will try it when I take more pictures. or I will take a few pictures to play with..

thank you everyone for all your time. I plan on not sharing pictures anymore until I can figure this out. I thought I was saving the original all this time. I will keep playing around and clicking on everything to see if it works.

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

No, you can just highlight the pictures you want to copy, using Control and the left or right arrows.

Now that is odd., not having an Edit area, It should still be in the same place at the top left of the Screen in your top Taskbar.

This is the trouble with trying to explain things 'blind'.

13. toni

It just seems like I do since I can decide which folder the photos go to, I can keep the original copy and save a resized copy and I can find the photos I am working on.
    And those seem to be the main problems you are having with the other process. ;)

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just right clicked on one picture and I picked edit and it said copy so I clicked that and it made and numbered itself copy 2. So 2 is the one I will make smaller or resize. I did not find an edit area on the top, just on the right click.I figured it should be easy...just couldn't figure out how to do it.

Thank you all so much for your time...now I have a beautiful butterfly I have just got to share...It only lets me do one picture at a time, no albums.
    thank you again...

15. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Wish I could help you more.
    The Edit I am talking about is at the top left hand side of the screen. This is a different thing to the one you get when you Right click on a picture.