How to tell if a plant is Angelica or Water Hemlock

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by kensclark15, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

I bought some Angelica last year and I just harvested the roots. I just want to be absolutely sure that it's Angelica and not Water Hemlock. Is there a way to tell? They look almost the same to me. I'll get a picture up of the roots and leaves in a minute.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

WATER HEMLOCKS ARE THE MOST POISONOUS DEADLY PLANTS IN NORTH AMERICA. This can not be stressed enough.

I strongly suggest you leave identification to the experts!

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has documented cases of people dying after eating water hemlock.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00026056.htm

Jerry

4. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

I think I know that... That's why I'm asking.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

IDing some look-a-like plants in person is iffy sometimes and doing it by looking at a photo online is the least accurate way.

Some of our members do grow a wide variety of herbs but I don't know that any of us would consider ourselves expert enough to make a positive ID between a medicinal plant and a deadly one. So, like Jerry suggested, take it to an herb expert or if you really don't trust the ID of the person/nursery who sold it to you maybe throwing the plant away and buying dried Angelica would be best.

Advertisement
  6. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

So...what happened to the picture? I think if all you have is the harvested roots, if there's ANY doubt about the nursery you got it from, I'd avoid using it. The main ways to tell them apart is by looking at the whole plant and the differences in the leaves.

7. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

I figured it out! The little "teeth" (don't know what it's called) on both plant are about identical, but on the Water Hemlock the veins in the leaf only go to the bottom of the teeth and don't hit the top, but on the Angelica the veins go all the way to the tip. I have Angelica and not Water Hemlock.