How to use a big vase?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Tina, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought a lovely big vase and put it in the corner of the steps going from the living room to the first floor. But it looks very empty. What should I put on such a big vase? Or should I use it differently in a different location?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

Thanks
    Tina.

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That sure is pretty! How about a fake palm in it? wait.... that might stick out too far and be in the way of your walkspace.
    Wonder if you can find something that looks like fountain grass plumes to put in it?

[​IMG]
    Purple Fountain Grass ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    It is such a beautiful vase... Maybe finding that just right small stand/table for it to help set it off. it could be all by itself or maybe with a few smaller treasures close by.. It is a wonderful focal point as you go up the steps. This would be my first choice because I love the look of the vase.

Another option might be organics in the pot. I have bought the good quality silk flowers and greens (don't waste money if they don't look real). My preference were the hydrengea, but choose ones you like. Be prepared to spend some $$$ to get ones that can fool people, but if taken care of properly they last literally years. You could also use bamboo sticks, or curly willow, both can be gotten at places like World Market or Pier 1 Imports.

[​IMG]
    Antique walking canes and silk and dried flowers ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks. I somehow can't bring myself to put silk plants. I will probably go with twigs or dried grass.
    Thanks for your input.

Advertisement
  6. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

My large, tall vase

I put long stemmed very big silk flowers in mine, the flowers are about 12' across

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from SusieQ07's Garden )

7. oubee

oubee In Flower

It's an apt location to place eye-catching flowers and showcase that handsome vase! (Just make sure you don't have kids running around) I'd say large anthuriums or sunflowers or any bright coloured fresh flowers!

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have been adding and collecting stuff in my large vase for years.

[​IMG]
    cranberry glass vase

Now I would never put mine in a staircase for worry about someone kicking it but I do have mine in the dining room. I take everything out 2 times a year very carefully and wash the vase, then put all my little goodies back into it.It took many years to collect all these things but it's been fun. It's all in the journey much like a garden. :p :p

9. scindapsus

scindapsus New Seed

put flower or some other plants in it, it can beautify your home.

10. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

I would definitely put some nice flowers in there.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I think I would be tempted to put the vase on a very low table....more like a little stool. Looking at the vase, I get an insecure feeling that it will be knocked over. It looks to me like it needs a base for stability, especially since it rests on a rug.

I think others have suggested some great ideas. I like the idea of it being a vase that you can put new things in: sunflowers in season, pampas grass, ??maybe a poinsettia during the holidays (although that would make the vase top heavy), pussy willows or forsythia in the spring. If you do give in and use artificial flowers, I would suggest at least one pick up the red/orange color of the vase.

But, it is a WONDERFUL vase!!! & I do like it in that corner. Gives real interest to the staircase. Question: if you put tall grasses in it (or anything tall) what will be the view from the other side of the staircase? Will it look odd?

12. james123

james123 New Seed

I think you should fill up with different color's of flowers..!!

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You've been given all kinds of suggestions as to what to put in it. I would be concerned that it might tip, so my suggestion to you is to lower its center of gravity and put a good amount of clean sand, or those glass pebbles, in the bottom of it. It will help anchor the flowers or twigs or whatever you decide to display, plus with the added weight at the base it will be much harder to tip.