How to watch tree pros trim and cut down dangerous trees

Discussion in 'How To:' started by Pacnorwest, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I watch these guys all the time Thought you all might be interested.
    Have had tree trimmers to cut down 80’-100’ trees with beetle kill and to go thru my personal tree collection I grew from seedlings and to ready other trees for winter storms. Protecting the trees and property near and under trees.

Shorts in Oregon..

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I watched those with interest since we're going to have to do the same with some trees that have grown too tall. Not ourselves! I'm scared of heights and haven't got the skill either. Watching professionals work is such a joy.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My son is learning to do this! Amazing to watch!

Pacnorwest and Tetters like this.
  4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

We have a friend who takes care of the trees here. It's so often such a long way up - Zigs said only a couple of days ago, he doesn't worry at all about heights, it's the drops that bother him :nerdy: - his professional work took him to dizzy heights as he repaired many a tall church.

Advertisement
  5. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Sadly, my conifer now probably twice as tall as the house is out of hand. It has obviously reached it's max height and over the past few years spread itself out. My, what I call. My tiny garden is now being shaded too much. The property is local council owned. Due to economic problems. Most councils are cutting back. For a tree surgeon to take on the job. Phew! Downstairs tennantps garden is a tip. Her dog has to search for a spot to relieve itself..(Poo or crapwise) so what arborist would want to wade through dog s***. Next door's garden is also a tip. The lass with two kids allowed a new fella to move in. He is in the building game. He has turned a once tidy garden into a tip, dumping all sorts of rubbish. So dangerouse ground. So what can I do?????

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Mike Allen … What a horrible situation you’re in. As a tiny suggestion ask if possible a trained arborist to take a look at those trees. Some can be dangerous in high winds . Here in several winter wind storms conifer trees just tumble over . Even though they are very tall and wide they also have a very shallow root system. Or perhaps just a bit of a clearing out some of the limbs to open up sun shine. I do that a lot with my huge trees limb up and clear out crossed branches. Gives the garden sunshine and is safer to survive severe winter storms.

Teeters Zigs is brilliant to worry about the drop as some of these trees are well over a 100’. Equipment and safety is keen. A logger has nerves of steel and are amazing athletes so skilled they are the hero’s of the tree/forest world.

Netty. congrats to your son… I Think.. it’s a worry to know our child is in such an extreme dangerous world. Yet it’s something in their blood that gives them the courage, strength and ambition to be a tree climber. It’s a very rare skill today to learn about roping , equipment skills , different forest trees , and know what and where to cut for a successful fall.

Droopy. Tree climbing pros will do a great job for you and your trees. After all many trees are almost like family members . They have been around as long or longer than we have. In summer fairs in our state there are the lumberjack competitions . Some of the skills they exhibit in the competitions are of super hero’s.

So happy you all enjoyed the video’s… once ya start watching them ya can’t stop…

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  7. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

I just came across this nearly year-old thread and couldn't help but dive in. I'm fascinated by the world of tree care, too! It's incredible how pros handle trees that are 80'-100' tall, especially those with issues like beetle infestations. It really is an art form combined with some serious scientific know-how.
    Speaking of tree care and safety, I came across this website, https://www.tree-doctor-houston.com, that has some excellent information on various topics related to tree health, maintenance, and even emergency services. Although it's tailored for the Houston area, a lot of the advice is universally applicable.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

AlexFinn. Hi ….I absolutely agree with your assessment of Tree- Pros. They are amazing climbers and can zip line across trees and tie them down, cut branches as they fall right on point, bulls eye. Branches hit the exact point they were aiming. I watch them all the time . There are many you tube videos from Wa. And Oregon to watch them as they explain each cut , angle and why. They are awesome.

It was amazing last fall when we had 80’ trees cut down due to beetle kill watching the tree pros land them between a barn and a shed like no big deal. It’s exciting to watch the set of skills it takes to accomplish a tricky task. I have learned a lot from watching them and respect their teams and skills tremendously. Most notably how much planning is done so quickly in their approach and the back up plans to save anything that may be in the trees path. Safety is always first. I do love all our trees and every once in awhile I’ll call them to keep all my trees healthy, sail-worthy, and be sure those high branches I can’t reach are not touching or weak to protect our home during winter storms.

It’s a tough job and these guys are in good shape as are all their tools and equipment. In todays hi-tech world they can communicate with each other from tree to tree, ground to tree making their job a little bit easier.

Another video how quickly a fallen tree can change your life forever.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have done this too. Not on as big trees as shown in the videos, but I have been up trees and been attached with a harness round my waist. The scary bit is when you cut off the crown how much the tree wobbles. I have a few big trees to cut this winter. I like this work. Last winter I had to climb 6 meters up a tree and cut out the top of another tree that had snapped off and was wedged horizontally in the other tree. I had to make sure not to damage any of the shrubs growing around it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.