Hudson and Molly.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Philip Nulty, Dec 21, 2010.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What was Molly's reaction to the horses? If two animals that size approached me I'd be off like a rocket.
    It's getting dark here at about 4pm now - very depressing. We hardly ever see anyone else walking their dogs these days. We have to take a torch with us for our dogs last two walks.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Eileen,..the first time she ever came across horses she ran away,..second time while on the lead she growled,..now she just sits there and watches me stroke the horses heads,..i like horses but when there are three they tend to jostle each other and me,..keeping away from being in a position,.. behind them,.. where they could kick is my only concern,..other than that they are top of my list,.. for my most liked animals,..even including dogs and cats.

Ah so i am not the only one to notice that people are not out walking dogs this time of year,..i admit its warmer here though misty,..today its again 16C-60F and no need for a fire,..in fact my sitting room and bath room windows are still open and its now 20 mins past midnight.

Here is a Doctored image of Foxy Molly,..i doodled while waiting for a phone call.
    2017-11-19_23.34.35.jpg

3. eileen

Now that's a photograph that needs to be framed and hung on a wall. :headbang:She's such a pretty little girl.
    Soooo you love horses do you? Have I never told you that one of favourite animals is also the horse? I did a lot of riding when I was younger and helped out at the stables whenever I could. I didn't get paid as but got to help exercise the horses.:smt026 I lived for horses and dogs. That's one of the reasons why I became a vet nurse in a large and small animal practice.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Surprise surprise,..i didn't know horses were also one of your favorite animals,..plus you did a lot of riding.

Every summer my Mother used to put me on the bus from Dublin to County Offaly where i would spend my school holidays,..my Aunt had a donkey which i rode at every opportunity,..fell off many times as there was no saddle lol,..then i was stationed in Mc Kee Barracks when in the Army,..this is where the Equitation School is based so i would watch the training of show jumpers when ever possible,..though my Army Unit was a Cavalry Unit,..horses were replaced by Armored Cars.

In Ireland and England horses have to be culled from time to time but in some other countries breeding horses specifically for pet food seems uncivilized and barbaric,..i always make sure my pet food does not contain horse meat.
    ===================================================================================
    Whooper Swan

The Whooper Swans have arrived here for the past few weeks,..coming from their breeding grounds in Iceland to their wintering grounds in Ireland and England,..up to yesterday i could only hear them honking and whooping down river but yesterday they came upriver close enough to get a picture,..hopefully they will keep moving closer,..i lost count after 100 of them.
    2017-11-23_13.35.21.jpg

2017-11-23_13.35.24.jpg

2017-11-23_13.38.12.jpg

2017-11-23_13.38.31.jpg

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Some beautiful pictures here Philip. Molly is a beaut! I really loved the photo several postings back of a road covered in freshly fallen leaves. And the ones of the swans are of course gorgeous.

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Cayuga Morning,..thank you,..those Autumn leaves give a nice display of colour,..it helps fill the gap between now and next Spring.

The river has risen a few feet and lots of meadows are flooded,..the Whooper Swans didn't come further upriver so i decided to go visit them down river,..both sides of the road was flooded but i managed to get close enough,..they are feeding on recently flooded meadow grass and i see Mute Swans and Whooper feeding alongside each other,..the difference between the species can be seen by the colour of the beaks,..orange and black beaks for Mute Swans and yellow beaks for Whooper.
    2017-11-27_14.14.07.jpg

2017-11-27_14.14.32.jpg

7. eileen

I love the calls the Whooper swans make. They are rather handsome birds aren't they with their wedge shaped beaks?

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

2017-11-27_14.37.06.jpg

2017-11-27_14.37.47.jpg

2017-11-27_14.13.21.jpg

2017-11-27_14.38.28.jpg

2017-11-27_14.38.43.jpg

2017-11-27_14.44.53.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Eileen,..i think they beat the Mute Swans for colour,..its the beaks,..they almost glow.

I uploaded the images above last night and during the process i had to log in three times,..slow connection perhaps,..anyway as i logged off the images were not there so i presumed i would have to upload again,..lo and behold they were still there this evening,..so i just posted,..two are not where i wanted them but i will leave well enough alone,..i think the problem is my Firefox :(

10. eileen

Well the swans seem to be enjoying the flooding don't they? I really hope the water recedes before it become too cold though. Can you imagine in all that water frozen? I worry when large areas of flood water does freeze as children are always tempted to want to play on it - sometimes with tragic results.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Eileen you can see them enjoying themselves,..and hear them lol,..there are several hundred of them all grazing on meadow grass just below the water,..oh boy if it freezes while the river is so high that would be a disaster for the swans,..of course awkward for us humans getting around,..in the image below my car is on the narrow road with just enough space for two cars to pass each other,..there is a dyke of about six foot on either side of the road where every year several cars just got too close to the side and slid in.
    2017-11-27_14.46.00.jpg

Shock,..and so she should be,..we had our walk in the park before heading off to the Supermarket and Foxy Molly ate something before i could stop her.

On the way back from the Supermarket she puked all over the back seat,..OMG the pong was terrible,..even worse when cleaning it up,..heaven knows what it was but it was eaten very fast.
    2017-11-27_20.16.16.jpg

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oops,..time out just as i was about to hit Post,..had to log in all over again,..here i was blaming Firefox wrongly,..i am using Browser Iron tonight.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I haven't looked at this in a while. lovely photos Philip!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. eileen

Thank goodness Foxy Molly threw up whatever she ate Philip!! I always worry that our dog might pick something up that could cause real intestinal problems. So far (fingers crossed) we've never had a problem.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,..thank you,..glad you could drop in,..are you still working as hard as ever?,..is there a lull for you at this time of year,.. or are you now preparing for next spring?