Hydroponic peppers and grow lights (bite me, winter.)

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Masket, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Masket

Masket New Seed

Fall is coming, and in my contempt for winter I have decided to start growing hot peppers. I have several envelopes full of seeds ranging from sweet bell peppers right up to Habaneros. Personally I like to eat fresh Cayennes off the plant and chew them thoroughly, making sure the juices and seeds reach every corner of my mouth.

Anyway I have a few questions, suggestions are also very welcome.

Lighting
    How are lumens measured? is it the bulb's total output or the amount projected over a certain area?

Is it worth the extra cash to get both metal halide and high pressure sodium bulbs (one for vegetative phase, one for blooming), or is it better to stick with just one type? I can easily get a ballast that can run both and then just switch the bulbs.

Fertilizers/nutrients
    There are no hydroponic shops within 150k, so my access to proper fertilizers is limited.

Is there anything I can mix out of more common ingredients?

I've heard a regular 20-20-20 fertilizer will work, as long as it has micro nutrients included, is this true?

Pumps/design
    The basic idea is to use a deep water culture system, made from an 18 gallon plastic storage tub. 6 Holes will be cut in the lid for net pots, and an air stone stuck to the bottom. I was also planning to add a submersible water pump with a hose inside that splits into 6 individual hoses, which are stuck into the net pots to deliver nutrients and water directly to the roots. I got the idea from a system sold online.

Is adding the pump worth the trouble and cost? or is it just as good to stick with a basic DWC system and just let the roots grow down into the solution?

has anyone tried similar projects or have thoughts to share? Thanks.

2. Loading...