I am a BookWorm

Discussion in 'Books' started by honeybunny88, Nov 23, 2009.

1. plantgoddess

plantgoddess Seedling

HI Everyone! I love to read and cannot fall asleep at night without having read a few paragraphs (all depends upon how tired I am).

Some favorite authors are Ann Rule, Nelson DeMille, Jodi Picoult and Patricia Cornwell. There are many others, of course, and sometimes I find a particular book is a winner while others by the same author fall short.

My bookshelves are overflowing and I have books piled in some pretty strange spots - much to hubby's dismay.

Plenty of gardening and plant reference books here, too.

2. HomeLoverSue

HomeLoverSue New Seed

I really like reading a variety of genres, but I read mostly fiction. I really enjoy the classics, and I'm a big Shakespeare buff :)

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

hey plantgoddess- I have read a lot of Jodi Piccoult, she is a very talented writer. But I could not get through her last one. It was just too depressing :'( I have been talking books on another forum too. It is fun to get author's names for future library trips.

4. plantgoddess

plantgoddess Seedling

Hi Kay,

I don't think I read Picoult's last book. Do you recall what that title was? Some of hers are so, so good and others could have been better. Did you read 'My Sister's Keeper'? I was very disappointed with the movie version.

I also like some of John Irving's work, but not all.

I'd have to go through some of the piles around here to list other very good books, depending upon what others are interested in reading.

Advertisement
  5. Kay

Hoo boy, I can not remember the title, it is about a family that has a baby that is sick or has some kind of birth defect. I did not finish it, I knew it would be involved and I didn't want to be sad. I did read Her Sister's Keeper. Did not see the film, but most books are better than their movie. Don't you think?
    John Irving has written some crazy stories! Didn't he write The World According to Garp?
    I think I should start a list of titles I read, especially when I like them, because I forget so quick! :rolleyes:

6. plantgoddess

plantgoddess Seedling

Yes, Irving did write 'Garp'. I like 'A Prayer For Owen Meany' and also 'The Cider House Rules' by him.

I recall seeing the newest Picoult in the stores but didn't pick it up. Sometimes I'll find her other books along side the newest one in BJs so lose track of which titles I've read.

Usually, the book is better than the movie, with a few exceptions where they kept it pretty close.

Have you ever read 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule? This may or may not be up your alley - she is a true crime writer and this was one book I couldn't put down....

7. Kay

I have heard of Ann Rule, or seen the book at the library. Thanks for the name, I will write it down!
    I did read both The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany . I liked them both, but boy, John can go on... his books are long! There was another one that had a family who owned a hotel, and then they went to live in Europe...can't recall the title.

8. plantgoddess

plantgoddess Seedling

Hmmm...nothing comes to mind about that book, but I haven't read all that he has written. I agree - his books do go on and on. Sometimes I like something short and sweet just for a break!

9. Merrie

Merrie New Seed

Where are the bookworms now?
    I still love Cecelia Aherns books. But at the moment I have to read everything I can get about America, visa and so on.(Because I want to stay there for a while).

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Merrie, perhaps us bookworms have been too busy reading to post! I am a retired librarian, so yes, I am a bookworm! I buy reference books, cookbooks, and gardening books, and get fiction from our local library. I like most anything in print (my husband says that if I got desperate enough I'd read the phone book!).
    I re-read Jane Austen, just to remember how the English language used to be, and I enjoy Trollope and Mark Twain. Right now I'm reading Ferling's The Ascent of George Washington and learning more than I ever wanted to about our first president.I enjoy P. C. Doherty's historical mysteries, and Elizabeth George--anything that lady writes!
    I'll go now--I hear a book calling me . . . .

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Me too
    I love reading too.

But I am rather shocked at my book collection - it is mainly non-fiction.

Quite a number of philosophy books - Derrida, Foucault, Hayden, Isaiah Belin, Mphahlehle,Perry Anderson, Benedict Anderson, Gramsci, Karl Marx, etc.

Only four gardening books. :eek:

Fiction - an almost full collection of the Dean R Koontz novels. I am missing about 5 early titles.

Collection has recently grown to include Alexander Elder, Williams, and a few others. (Yet more non-fiction)

12. Kay

Bookworm here, alive and well! :)
    I always have my nose in one book or another...
    especially during the cold months when the garden is dormant.
    I like lots of genre, but right now it's "lite" mysteries.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In 2005, the kid across the street rammed his car into the back of Randy's pickup that was in our driveway, shoving the nose of the truck thru the front wall (were the garage door had been before previous owner had converted the garage into a room). As a result our insurance paid for the reconstruction of the room.

My point being that after they finished Randy built a bookcase to go on that front wall. It is 8' tall and 8' wide, has 6 shelves. The top shelf has a collection of kerosene lamps, old radios and a wine rack.
    The other 5 hold books. There are some rapidly shrinking spaces for knick-knacks in the middle of three of the shelves but I think I will be finding new homes for them soon so there will be room for other books that are laying around.

We have authors from Asimov to Zelazny and subjects from American Indians to Weaponry.

THEN in my room I have books on Gardening, using medicinal herbs, knitting, painting/drawing, birds, butterflies, insects,

And pretty much all of the books have been read by one or both of us.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm a book worm and so is my husband. We've got a rather wide selection, from Barbara Cartland to James Joyce. Lots of crime novels, historical novels, a few sci-fi, love stories and what-not. Our gardening books are stashed everywhere since we always need them, and so are my horse books. I have no idea how many shelf meters we've got and I don't think I want to know either. Double stacking? Of course. :D

15. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I like Danielle Steel and Anne Edwards.