I am a girly girl apparently

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I've posted elsewhere about my Ron's daughter's upcoming wedding. Krystal is a pretty edgy woman...tattoos, piercings, green hair, like that. One of the reasons we get on as well as we do!! ;) She's also natural and wholistic in her approach to life in general, eats very cleanly, vegan, uses natural products in her house, on her person etc.

She asked me the other day if I'd help her with her wedding apparel. She doesn't want a traditional wedding dress, but wants a more bohemian look. Lace and all, just not ballgown looking. And some ideas for her hair, and a headdress of some kind. And undergarments. Mentioned her nails...that sort of thing. I was more than happy to help, in fact I was thrilled! I did ask her though if her friends might not be of more help, as they're her generation and a lot of them similar in style to Krystal herself.

She waved that away, saying no that wouldn't work, that she really need a "girly girl's" help. Well. OK then. :like:

Apparently a girly girl is a person who manifests a more feminine appearance and tends to act in a more traditionally feminine way.....hair, makeup, clothing, jewelry and the like. Who wholeheartedly embraces her femininity without sacrificing her personality or strength. I really like that!! Yeah, I am definitely a girly girl!

So, armed with that knowledge, what about you, ladies? Are any of you a girly girl?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kiasmum
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I tried being a girly girl, once, a looooong time ago....never left the house with that look for fear of laughing myself silly every time I saw my reflection. I am not a 'not girly girl' either. I wear what I am comfy in and what I like....if some one doesn't like what they see, they have so many other directions they can look.
    I have not worn makeup of any kind in about 30 years, I have one necklace that I wear always, my wedding ring and a moonstone ring I wear always and three of pairs of earrings that I alternate wearing...Snowman, Snowflakes and Witch with Black Cat depending on my mood that day. My oldest daughter (who is a bit of a girly girl) is shocked that I own only 7 pairs of shoes...slip on sneakers, tie-able sneakers, 3 pairs of comfy house shoes, a pair of short top wintery type shoes and a pair of crocs. Three dresses, one for weddings/funerals, two for winter days around the house. Three pairs is jeans and too many decorated t-shirts to list here. I do have skirts and tops but I have lost some weight since the last time I wore them so I need clear out my side of the closet.

Ronni likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@toni, I never have thought of myself as a "girlie-girl", but compared to you, I am!

Ronni likes this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I don't wear makeup every day. I wear it when I go dancing, to my Naranon meeting, when Ron and I go out or I have some other event to attend. I seldom wear it to work...I might if I were going to an office every day, but doing organizing is pretty physical work for the most part, except when I'm doing computer work, and so I tend to dress down for work days. Depending on what I'm doing, it might be leggings and a tunic top, workout wear, skinny jeans and flats and cotton top. I don't wear t shirts except around the house, for grunge work.

Oh my...don't even get me started on my jewelry!!! I LOVE jewelry, and I have a whole bunch of costume jewelry. I mean, a LOT!! Here....I'll take a pic real quick.....

Two of my hanging necklace organizers:
    IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG

And my jewelry armoire that holds rings, earrings....so many earrings!!! bracelets, anklets, pins and brooches, and other random pieces.
    IMG_0243.JPG

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Yup, I'd say the jewelry qualifies you as a "girlie-girl" Ronnie!

This is a bit off topic, but I have recently retired & I have been pondering my closet full of work clothes. I could easily reduce their number by half & still have multiple options for dinners out, etc. No one talks about what they do with their former work attire.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I'm NOT a girly girl in any respects. I don't wear 'fancy' clothes, make up or a great amount of jewellery. I don't even wear perfume nowadays. I have my wedding ring, engagement ring and eternity ring which I have on all the time. A necklace my daughter bought me with a matching bracelet but other than that nothing else. My clothes are comfortable and practical. I don't have a dress or even a skirt to my name. I wear trousers as I have big scars on both legs from major operations which are pretty unsightly. I gave up wearing make up and perfume years ago and don't miss either.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I have several friends in similar situations, Cayuga!

Over time, as they'd adjusted to their different lifestyles after retirement, they've been slowly whittling down their work attire, just bit by bit so it's not too drastic.

Too, something I've discovered as I've gotten older, and I think I've bitched about it here more than once, is that though I'm no heavier now than I was 5 years ago, my clothing isn't fitting me the same way, which is also resulting in a slow evolution of my wardrobe over time. It pisses me off honestly, because I LOVE some of the stuff that used to look good on me but now just makes me look frumpy, or hip-y, or like an apple, or other unflattering silhouettes.

My point is that retirement isn't the only thing that is causing wardrobe evolutions ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. toni

CM check around your area for a group that collects and provides good work clothes for women just entering the work force and do not have money for nice clothes for job interviews. I am thinking it is the Salvation Army but could be local church ladies group.

10. Cayuga Morning

That's a good idea Toni.
    Ronni: too too true!

Ronni likes this.
  11. toni

CM, you could also contact your local Police station about donating the clothes to a local women's shelter. They will not tell you where one is but I believe that all police departments have liaisons who work between the two and can deliver the clothes to them for you. We have a local thrift store that helps the women's shelter in Dallas and they will take donations for direct delivery to the shelters. Women there leave home under horrible circumstances and have to start over with almost nothing.