I come bearing humility!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Honey-Do, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

My gardening is what has always made me feel happiest. Once you get stuck in there will be no stopping you. I really wish you well with your project.

Logan and Honey-Do like this.
  2. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I'll second the rest of them :)

Mulch is good after you've weeded the ground, it's then easier to pull out new weed seedlings and keep an eye on anything left in there :like:

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome ! I agree with the others about the fabric ! But consider doing what many do with vegetable gardens,, use plain old cardboard boxes ! It does the same thing,, eventually decomposes and can be worked into the soil, and they are free ! Just cut and place where needed and cover with mulch !
    Just replace as needed ! Cant see it once the mulch is added ! It has many more pros than cons !

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Honey Do, you do not sound defensive. Rather you sound like all of us when we were starting out (personally, all my first gardening advice was carved on a stone and rolled out of the cave!).
    I see you are in Minnesota (and thank you for posting your location)--you can have so many lovely perennials and annuals there. Have you considered having a small vegetable garden, or even herbs in pots? I'm a great fan of home-grown, fresh herbs. They add so much flavor and color to the dinner table. Plus, they are easily grown!

Advertisement
  5. Honey-Do

Honey-Do New Seed

Yes I have. With the dogs and rabbits, as well as limited space in the backyard, a full garden is out of the question. I would like to try some potted herbs though, just haven’t thought much about it.

we have a very narrow, probably 8” narrow raised bed across the front of our front porch. Will be giving my try at planting some small (hopefully bright-colored) flowers along there to surprise my Lady this spring. Will have to figure out the best type to plant there, will be pretty full sun there - southern exposure and no shade trees

Droopy and Logan like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Hello @Honey-Do and welcome to Garden Stew forums.
    I agree with everything that the others have said.
    Feel free to ask what ever you want and we can help you.

Growingpains and Honey-Do like this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome to the Stew @Honey-Do, from the wet and windy northwest coast of Norway. Afraid I can't give you much growing advice but I'd love to see what you will be doing around your yard. I'm so pleased you've decided to start a garden. There's something soothing about messing around with dirt, mulch, and even weeds. I'm 57 and have gardened since I was 24 or somewhere around there. Right now our garden is full and in serious need of proper care. We've been too busy over the last five years to take proper care of it. We're going to downsize borders, arrange plants differently, get some sheep's wool, and try to make an easily maintained garden with both edibles and non-edibles. We're in for a lot of learning yet again. That's what I love about gardening. Always something new to learn.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Honey-Do, I used weed barrier one year to banish Bindweed. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the hated Bindweed growing abundantly beneath the weed barrier! I could reach under and grasp huge handfuls of the stuff. Years later, I still fight Bindweed but at least it isn't hiding.

9. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

Welcome Honey Do....I too have a big problem with weeds. Hopefully now that I am retired I can deal with it better.

10. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

If this little bed is in full sun, you need to plant stuff that will thrive without worrying too much about lack of water. Also something that will completely cover the whole area, and spread well enough to not need mulching.
    Have a look at sedums and succulents - they would fit the bill, and spread nicely to form a mat - they have different colour flowers at different times too. You could underplant those with bulbs, although spring bulbs need to be planted in the autumn (fall) Usually you can find potted ones to stick in early in the year already started. Crocus, snowdrop, and iris reticulata, grape hyacinths etc.

11. Honey-Do

Honey-Do New Seed

Thanks for the tips Tetters! I will definitely looking those up!!

Logan likes this.
  12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Good for you! Now is the time to clear rubbish and get everything tidy, weeded as much as possible, and planned. If you want to attract birds and bees to your garden, maybe you could consider siting a small pond for them. Gardens need to be full of life, colour and scent. :)

https://watergardenadvice.com/small-backyard-pond-ideas/

.....oh yes, and you won't forget to show us a picture of your garden space will you - it's always good to have a ''before and after'' record of your work.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you have a full sun raised bed,, why not plant two or three small bush type cherry tomato plants and some small flowering annuals around them ! Depending on how wide and long it is even some leaf lettuce could be added ! Don`t even look at what the spacing is supposed to be !

Honey-Do likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, as usual, is right--don't even look at what the spacing is supposed to be. I plant more closely than advised, because it cuts down on weeds. Less light, lots of competition for nutrients, and root competition for space=fewer weeds!

Honey-Do likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Home grown cherry tomatoes and lettuce may catch his lady`s eye more than flowers ! It sure would mine !

Honey-Do likes this.