I forgot :-(

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 22, 2020.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Every Spring they dot the garden surrounding the deck. I can't remember their names. My memory department needs help:(

IMG_4595.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG

Jerry

Frank, Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, join the crew Jerry ! Something "bells" but forget what ! I know when I sleep on it I will remember what they are called here !

Jerry Sullivan likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hyacynthoides Hispanics. They come in white, pink and blue. I have them too Jerry. I don't know the name that they commonly go by. I think there are blue ones that grow wild in England....English bluebells?

Jerry Sullivan and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These foto's are examples of the English bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta).
    This English species differs from the H. hispanica in that the blooms are all bunched at the top of the bloom stem, so that it looks like the flower stem is bowing it's head; and the H. hispanica has its blooms all along the bloom stem on all sides. Another fine point is that the English bluebell blooms have a more marked "curling-back" of the pointed tips of the bloom than do the blooms of the H. hispanica.

Where your thread becomes interesting is the colour that yours present with. So then, there are basically three types: Bluebells, white bells and pink bells. The non-blue ones are mutations.

It is also interesting to note that there exists a cross between the Spanish and English bluebells and it is called, Hyacinthoides x massartiana. This bluebell thing just keeps going on and on doesn't it.

Last edited: May 22, 2020

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wow, thank you everybody. I will make lots of notes in the log book. A few years ago I had 3 plants, now I have 15. As I moved plants around these plants came with the others. Now they are spread among the others in flower bed.

Jerry

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Would you please show me some growing outside and are fully in bloom.
    Yours look; at this point, more like the Spanish sort. Note that the tips of the flower petals do not curl back very much at all. In fact they look almost like a campanula sort ... but perhaps I am seeing this wrong, but the blooms do not even look like
    'bells' at all.

9. Cayuga Morning

IMG_20200522_155359.jpg Okay, here goes! IMG_20200522_154805.jpg IMG_20200522_154814.jpg IMG_20200522_154823.jpg

Are these photos close enough to see?

Shall I try a closer-up?

Here's one closer....Oops it got inserted at the beginning.

10. Cayuga Morning

IMG_20200522_155111.jpg
    Oh!! And one more!

Sjoerd and Jerry Sullivan like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

The bulbs were from John Scheepers, a compatriot of yours.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Jerry those Bells are so beautiful, I really enjoy looking at them :) Thank you :D

When I read Cayuga Morning post mentioning
    my mind went straight to my memories when I was in England in 2015 in the woods just wandering around to enjoy the beauty of the blue bells all over the forest floor.
    [​IMG]
    I thought I had more photos but I guess the beauty of it is embedded in my memories. :)

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu-- Thanks a mil for the piccies. I believe that your white ones must be the Spanish ones. If you scroll back up to the top of the thread and look at Jerry's pic, you can see that his 'bells have that slender bell-form with clearly curled-back petal tips. Your white flowers on the other hand have a wider and less well defined bell-form and do not curl back tightly like they should were they English bluebells.

Your flowers are none-the-less lovely in the house. I picked mine regularly and brought therm home to be placed in a narrow glass vase. My bells are blue, but they are Spanish ones, and are beginning to make a nuisance of themselves by spreading all over the place.

BTW--I had a look at John Scheepers' website. I read their Hx and looked for the white bluebells that you have but could not find flowers that looked 100% exactly like yours. Ach well, You have what you have, and they are lovely to my eyes. I recall that you like white points in your gardens, and these fit the bill, right?

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

BTW Cayu-- What is that last white flower and plant that you showed up above?

15. Cayuga Morning

@Sjoerd isn't it
    lovely? It's a Japanese woodland peony. They can take the shade or less than half day sun. Paeonia Obovata, variety Willmonttiae. Last year, they produce brightly colored berries (blue or purple, I don't recall which). I didn't collect the seeds, hoping they would self sow. If no babies show up, I'll try collecting the seeds and see what luck I have. Would you like some seeds? That is assuming I can collect some?

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You cannot send seeds to me here in Holland. There are sadly, laws-- U.S. laws and EU laws. Thank you very much anyway. It is gorgeous.

Cayuga Morning likes this.