I have a sick office cat :0(

Discussion in 'Pets' started by stratsmom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think my office cat, Missy Mama, might have a nasty urinary tract infection. I've been gone the last several days and came back to work to find my office a mess!!! She dug out my Huge split leaf philadendron, threw dirt all over the office and tried to pee in the flower pot! She has never done this before. My coworker told me she was in and out of her litter box all day Friday. Her eyes are a little weird looking too. She obviously doesn't feel good. I had some left over antibiotic in the fridge from her last eye infection. Do you think I should give her a dose? I imagine that's what the vet would do.
    Deanna :'(

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. cajunbelle
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

If it hasn't expired that might work. I do know there are different anti'b's for different infections.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Deanna the antibiotics you got for her eyes may not work if it is a urinary tract infection she has. I'd be inclined to take her to the vet and see what he/she thinks is wrong before it gets any worse. One way or another I hope that Missy feels much better soon.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Thanks Girls!!

After I read Sharon's post I took her to the vet. I didn't realize they used different antibiotics for different ailments. But, since Cajun Belle has a handful of kitties I figured she knew what she was talking about :D They kept her at the vet's and told me to come back :eek: Poor old thing. If they don't call pretty quick I'm going back down there!
    It's been 2 hours already.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Here's hoping Missy Mama will be feeling better. Once she gets the antibiotics in her she should be fine. :fingerscrossed:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was the right decision to take your office cat to the vet.I would have been very surprised if the eye meds would have worked sufficiently. Personal;ly I feel that it's always better to first establish a diagnosis before beginning intervention with a antibiotic regimen. Antibiotics are (generally speaking) specific, although there are some broad-spectrunm antibiotics available.
    Y'know S'mom, other illnesses should be ruled-out as well.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

If she is an older kitty, the vet may want to make sure her kidneys are working well.. I hope she feels better quickly. My kitty (also named Missy (Mistletoe) says "get well soon" too. I'm glad you took her to the vet.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Isn't it hard to have a pet feeling ill, especially when you are not there. I hope they find the right medication and she improves quickly. dooley

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm pleased you took her to the vet. I hope she'll soon be back with you and have the correct medication to help her recover quickly. With older cats it's always better to play safe when there's something wrong with them.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Missy Mama is home and on the road to recovery. She had a bladder infection. The vet gave her a new antibiotic to take twice a day. (It's really hard getting a cat to swallow if they don't want too) :eek:
    Thank you everyone for your sound advice and good wishes :p
    Deanna & Missy Mama
    :-D :-D

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Did your vet give you some tips for pilling her? If not, I have a good method. My Missy is AWFUL when it comes to pills. Here is my method: wait until she is sleeping. Then hold her top jaw with one hand and press open her lower jaw with the last three finger from the other hand. Quickly slide the pill, held between your first two fingers, along the side of her mouth/teeth (rather than going straight in over her tongue) and into the back of her throat. If you can get the pill past the rough part of her tongue, it will pretty much have to go down. If you do it real fast, you can walk away before she is even fully aware. It helped me out tremendously and saved some fingers to do it that way. I'm so glad MissyMama is going to recover.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Just now reading about Missy mama Deanna,I'm glad you took her to the vet.Her bladder infection should be better tomorrow.Poor baby she must have been so miserable.

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i'm glad you checked her with the vet and that she's home recovering.

one thing we do when giving out cats pills, which they dislike, is to pop the pill in their mouth and close their mouth and then holding their head upward, gently stroke the throat in a downwards motion. it helps them to swallow it.

our critters are sending 'healing' vibes her way! :D

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

She was SO much better this morning!! Her medicine is a thick white liquid that came with a dropper. We will try daisy beans trick tomorrow :-o I tried holding her and Tamie stuck the dropper in her mouth. Her right paw got away from me and her claw got poor Tamie's thumb really bad :'( Thank Heavens there is only about 2 doses left in that little bottle!!

16. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

How did Missy-Mama make out? I hope she's all well now and back to tricks.