I Need Help with Toms!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jan 29, 2023.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I just received my tomato seeds today which I bought online. Some of you know that I had some experience in growing tomato with some success in containers. This time I am going to grow them on the ground.
    [​IMG]

It is a hybrid and is heat tolerant ... hmmm... I hope the heat tolerant part is true :)
    Oh! It is semi-determinate ... wonder why I thought it was indeterminate when I bought it. Semi-determinate is new to me and I thought "is there such a thing!" Thanks to google it confirm that yes semi-determinate tomato do exist.

I am using plastic cups to start the seeds and is wandering how big should it be.
    [​IMG]

The green shorter one diameter is 3 inches and the taller one is 4 inches. So which one should I use?

2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Use the bigger one if you have a choice, it saves labor. You can go to ground with a plant that fills that size. I say that from the "bury them deep" school of thinking. They will all be ready at once so stagger your starts by at least 2 weeks unless you want get the preserves all done at once.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I like to start small with my tomato seeds, and up-pot as they grow to keep the stem buried.
    Roots will form along the buried stem making for healthy plants. When I plant out, I bury them deep, putting some eggshell, compost and milk powder in the hole.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am with Netty on this one. I usually up-pot two times after the germination pot. This works best for me and my tom- growing technique. In fact, each time I up-pot, I remove all leaves except the top two ones and then I bury the plantlets right up those two top leaves.
    The reason that I do this is to keep getting more stem with roots on it. More roots=stronger plants=better harvest.

Good luck there mate.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I prefer to start mine in a seed tray, the half tray size @KK Ng The seedlings are not difficult to prick out, and it saves compost and space - until the seedlings are bigger. Small seed trays are also easier to protect from frost :)

Good to see you back @Sjoerd Did your birthday go well?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Tetters, yes it did mate. Thanks a mil for asking. We have had it here so busy lately. I also just wrote you a thank you on the birthday thread. That was so thoughtful of you to send the little song.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

KK This guy gives a good tutorial on tomato growing plus he is in a hotter zone than myself which may give you some tips.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all, really appreciate all the inputs.
    After reading how it is done by you all I have narrow it down to up potting them. To start the seeds I will use my soil block.

Thank you Dirtmechanic that was my initial thought too, to use the deeper ones.

Netty that is a great way to get healthy seedlings and I am going to do it that way. Thank you... err milk powder? What is the milk powder for?

Thanks Sjoerd, that is a great way to do it and yes more roots.
    I am not sure whether I can up pot it twice but I'll try - up potting to the 3 inches first then to the 6 inches one.

Thank you Tetters, start it in a smaller seed tray is good but I do not have any seed trays so I decide to use my soil block. I think it should work too and up pot later.

Clay_22 thanks for the interesting video.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Sjoerd likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Now about the grow bed, the bed is 2 feet wide and 6 feet long and I am wandering how many plants can I get in?
    My first thought is 18inches apart, is that ok?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The milk powder is to help prevent blossom end rot, as is the eggshells - calcium.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Eighteen inches sounds alright to me. I plan mine close in the greenhouse, but then I make the ground extra rich and I feed them heavily throughout the fruiting segment of the season with comfrey “tea”.
    You know I am really rooting for you. :fingerscrossed:

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Can use anything for a seed tray, i use the small trays that blueberries are in when i buy them.
    I do the same thing as @Tetters for tomato seedlings.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I wouldn't put any more than 3 tomato plants to a grow bag. They are very hungry plants. You will get more tomatoes from plants with enough space - the more the better. I found this out the hard way :notworthy:

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

KK Ng Small lil hint when planting maters in the permanent grow spot. Remove the last stems and leaves closest to bottom of plant. Then plant that section under the soil for more roots will grow and better plants.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the explanation about the milk powder Netty. I have grounded egg shells in my compost and I guess for good measure I'll add a teaspoon of grounded egg shell for each plant when I transplant them onto the ground.

Thank you Sjoerd, I'll go with 18 inches plus extra compost in the bed. I guess I have to add in extra compost when they start to flower. I do not have comfrey here so no tea for them. The bed was planted with long beans and I am now in the process of clearing and preparing the place for the toms.

Thanks Logan, I am doing the up potting but starting with soil block.

I'll bear that in mind Tetters, thank you. I guess growing plants is a continuous learning process and there is the up and downs and as a matter of fact I am having some downs with my pepper plants.

Thank you for the hint Pacnorwest, I will do that.