I rescued another plant!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Ronni, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

First of all, I may have posted this question in the wrong section of the forum, but as I have no real clue what I'm dealing with, I figured I'd start here, and Admin can move the thread if it's in the wrong place.

The lady at the grocery store told me she thought it was a miniature rose plant/bush. For $1.99, I was willing to rescue it and then figure out the rest. ;) It doesn't look like it's in bad shape, though there are no roses or even buds anywhere in evidence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if it's clear enough in this photo, but there even looks like there is some new growth emerging....a slightly brighter green on the topmost leaves than the surrounding ones.

[​IMG]

So........now what?

Is it a miniature rose? And if so, do I plant it in the garden, or is it a house plant? Whichever it is, how do I care for it? I've never tried to grow a rose before, of any variety, so I'm clueless. The big rose I just transplanted out in my front garden is a complete experiment, I have no idea if it's going to come back next season or not. Meanwhile, please can you tell me how I deal with this itty-bitty one? :stew1:

Frank and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It looks like a mini rose to me. I just bought one the other day from a dollar store.
    I'm not sure about planting them... but I guess you could.
    This is my second one. The first I kept in a container and it lasted 2+ years.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

There are different kinds of mini roses. Those grown in greenhouses meant to be houseplants (they may not do well planted outside as they've been pampered) and those that are grown for the outside garden.
    I've had 2 of the greenhouse ones in my lifetime, and neither lasted very long. I think they just dont like me haha

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would take my chances and plant it out in the flowerbed in a nice sunny spot.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have several miniature Rose bushes out in my zone 5 garden. The have lasted 9 winters so far and bloom happily all summer long :)

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I can't help thinking this little guy is an inside plant. When I got it, it was all prettied up with shiny paper round it and a bow. They usually only do that to house plants. And it's hard to tell from the photo I know, but it's little, in one of those tiny 4" pots, and so delicate looking that I wonder if it would even survive our freezing winters outside!

Also, I went back to the grocery store, and looked for other plants similar to it, thinking they might have a tag or something that I could get some information from. They did! I took pictures of the front and back of the tag. There's very little care information, and no temp range for the plant. But thought you might be able to extrapolate from the info, and advise me further.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

from the tag, it sounds like they are talking about an outdoor plant... specifically when they mention cutting back on the water during winter. If it's indoors... what difference would that make?
    If it were me, I'd keep it in a pot for a while. See how it's going to grow. Even set the pot outside except when your temps get near freezing.
    If you think it has grown big & strong enough, then you can plant it. I'd pick a spot where it would be protection from cold northern winds. And you might have to do like I do here for tender plants... cover them when temps near freezing.

9. oubee

oubee In Flower

The leaves look like a rose's even though too leafy a rose plant is not recommdended. Try a sunny place and lots of banana skins :D

Jerry Sullivan and donna in nc like this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Banana skins? What? :eek:

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, Read the label. Keep it moist..... nice plant. Wonder what color the flower is....Let us know.

It will drop buds if you don't keep it moist.

12. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Yes banana peels. Roses love them.

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I used to do that. Banana skins into small pieces cover with water, dark place for couple weeks. Then blend. Use them around the ground of the roses in Summer.

I can't do that for I keep my minis in the greenhouse in the Winter. They may draw fruit flies and I would never want that.

14. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I assume the banana skins are for potassium. :?:

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

That's what I thought too, John. I guess roses must like potassium. That's why *I* eat them anyway. ;)

16. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Interesting, now I know what to do with banana peels. Hmmmm.....just during growing season?

Jerry