I saw a turtle!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by dooley, May 2, 2009.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We went to town this morning and as we were going down our road, I put on my brakes and stopped.
    It was about 4 or 5 inches around and was marching across the road. But, in the middle it changed it's mind and turned around and went back the way it came.I waited until it was back in the grass. I sure wasn't going to go and squash it. I really like turtles. This is the first one I've seen in a long time. I bet it hangs out at that pond on the corner. Sure wish I'd had the camera. dooley

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

There usually is lots bigger ones crossing there.Snapping turtle alway in that pond.Don't be surprised if Chance finds a terrapin in your yard or you find one .They do love tomatos.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your wildlife is a lot more exotic than ours, dooley. :D

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I have a lot of creatures in my pond but would be totally amazed if I saw a turtle!! The only way there'd be one out there is if somebody dumped one as they're kept as pets here. No snapping turtles though!! LOL

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I like turtles too Dooley, but I haven't seen any around here. Turtles like tomato's?? I had no idea!

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

We have box turtles around here. It's always a nice surprise to find one in the garden. A few years ago I found a tiny baby -- he was no bigger than a Ritz cracker! I had to keep him inside for a few days while I finished the area where I'd found him, and I was so worried because he didn't eat a thing... About day 3, I took him outside in his box while I worked and when I found a worm, I threw it in there. That little baby held the worm down with his teeny weeny little foot and gobbled the whole thing (it was longer than he was!). At that point I knew he could fend for himself and I didn't even think twice when I put him back in the garden later that day!