I want to be a garden designer

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by eagerbeaver24, Dec 5, 2008.

1. eagerbeaver24

eagerbeaver24 New Seed

I know that in order to be a garden designer, you have to be artistic, you have to have wide imaginations, flexible and most of all, you should be good with plants. I am very good with plants but I don't believe that I am artistic enough to be considered a designer.

I am very willing to learn the basic and to learn how to be a good garden designer because I want to work as one professionally.

thanks

2. Loading...

3. Allan Perry

Allan Perry New Seed

Garden designer

I am sure that your knowledge of plants is a great start, by researching and understanding the colours,seasons and architecture of plants you would be well on the way.

Allan

4. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Hi Eagerbeaver24 and welcome aboard.

As a Nurseryman and Wildlife Habitat Naturalist, I can tell you that plant knowledge is very important.

A creative ind is a must and you also need to be willing to listen and learn.

Landscape trends change from time to time as do plants.

I work with customers all the time and they value your expertise.

Books are fine, but there is nothing like hands on learning.

Take some courses at a local college or tech center where you can get some hands on experience.

Better yet, hook up with a designer or landscaper that is willing to teach/train as you go along.

Ask questions.

You will learn what plants will go together by their needs (sun, water, shade, pH, etc.)

Colors that match, high and lows, yard art.

Most of all, listen to the customers wants and needs.

This should get you started and may you be a huge success.

Ron

5. meancleantech

meancleantech New Seed

Depending on your age you could always go to school for this, I forget the actual name of the degree but I know many successful people in this industry who go to school for business with a minor in botany or garden architecture (something like that). If you are interested in that you should check out schools in your area to see what they offer or if you don't want to go the school route you could always just start doing research yourself and possibly get a job with a local company that does the same thing to start learning from the ground up.