I want to change career to be an Interior Designer, HELP

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by TinaTT, Oct 7, 2010.

1. TinaTT

TinaTT New Seed

Hi all, just looking for some advice in the best way to get into interior design. I already have a degree in Applied Computer Technology (BSC)and have been working in this field for many years. I don't want to spend another 3-4 years studying just so i can change my career. Dose anyone know any other routes I can take? I already have the passion and creativity, i'm good with AutoCad and 3d StudioMax but just need to learn the rest, my aim to to start my own business. Any advice would be great.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In order to get customers you will need to show them some sort of proof that you know what you are doing. If not thru college courses or a design school maybe you could get an apprenticeship with a successful interior designer. I don't know if there are such programs but you could make some calls to find out. I imagine though that even being considered for an apprenticeship will require that you have had some sort of formal education in the field or are currently going to school to get that education. But you never know, you might find a designer who wants to help beginners in their field and if you show potential and they like the ideas you show them, they could help you out.

Being 'self taught' is acceptable in some fields of endeavor, but it still requires studying, keeping up with current fashion fads, friends who will let you use a room or two in their home to practice on and will take a few years to get the experience and references you need to show what you can do and then you can start your own business. That's not counting the money it will take to get started that way.

Having those special computer skills doesn't mean you can design a room that people will want. Make a portfolio of room design ideas to take with you to show other designers, friends and anyone else who might be willing to recommend you to someone who is looking for a designer.