I Was Very Very Busy Today

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by waretrop, Sep 5, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, I just told my sister that I wasn't making a turkey for thanksgiving because I didn't want to do anything with the carcass...I am so ashamed of myself for being so lazy. NOT really, I don't like turkey so I didn't want to eat it, you are awesome, though!

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So always seems that my food storage activities slow down in the Winter unless I find a sale on meat or something. :D

You???? Lazy?????? Why carolyn keiper..... hush-up....bite your tongue....that'll never be...

You are not lazy by a long shot.

Come early March I am going to corn beef and can it in volume.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Today I was lazy...I surfed the 'net most of the day....watched youtube, and few other piddly things....Nothing really productive. Shame on me, but tomorrow I think I will clean the basement and bottle honey for my next farmers market. I think I am done canning for the year.

4. waretrop

Yes, most of the veggies and fruits are done but I buy meats in bulk and can them when I find them on sale and also I make dishes for instant dinners. I try to can them in the winter when canning is at a low and it's cooler. I also can bacon all year. We buy slab bacon so we can cut it thin and thicker. I then can and freeze it. Most of the time that happens in Winter.

Today I will be juicing some leftover fruit. Limes, Tangerines and keylimes. Except for the keylimes, I won't be saving the rind for they are not real fresh to save.

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

I forgot that before Thanksgiving I made cranberry sauce. Saved enough for the holiday and canned the rest. I get 6 pints.

[​IMG]
    cranberry sauce 2013

Yesterday I forgot I had to start with 2 pineapples.

[​IMG]
    pineapple 2013

[​IMG]
    pineapple 2013

I got 2 pints and 2 half pints.

6. waretrop

Here we go again. Today I get my butter done. I know it's not approved by the "nchfp" for canning but I know if you leave butter in the fridge it will last for 5 months. After that it only goes rancid not anything else. My grandma used to can butter and she lived to be 80 something. I did it a little better than she used to.

I melted it and skimmed it off and pressure canned it for 60 minutes for 1/2 pints. Shook it as it cooled to keep it homogenized. It really looks good.

I got 4 pounds at $1.29 each. If, when I open it, the butter tastes good, I will buy allot next time I see it for that price.

I usually use the "nchfp" guidelines but I have thought about this for sometime and butter just doesn't go bad at room temp very easily so canned can't be that bad. I have read of many many others that do it.

[​IMG]
    canned butter

[​IMG]
    canned butter

7. waretrop

[​IMG]
    canned grapefruit

[​IMG]
    canned grapefruit

Just wanted to try this to see how this grapefruit will be for hubby to take for his lunch. I think it will work. I have 5 more I may put up tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    deviled eggs

[​IMG]
    deviled eggs

I made these for a Christmas party this evening I have allot of leftovers so I will meet my sister on Rt80 to have a snack of leftovers with her. We meet half way and just sit along the road for lunch. She has something to give me for the chickens.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Looks great Barb. Deviled eggs are on the want list for Christmas here to.

I had a real busy day also. Was in the middle of making breads for gifts when a friend showed up with a 5 gallon bucket of fresh oysters. So after finishing the breads 4 each of pumpkin spice bread, ginger bread and cranberry nut bread I shucked oysters. I now have oyster stew for dinner. I think I need a nap first.

9. waretrop

Wow, you are busy today Donna S. Your dinner would be on my Christmas dinner list. That's for sure.

10. waretrop

[​IMG]
    italian sausage 2014

[​IMG]
    italian sausage 2014

First canning for 2014. Today I will can my bacon. We buy slab bacon and slice it ourselves and freeze it in smaller amounts. When I get time I thaw it out and can it partially cooked. Works well for hubbies egg sandwiches for work.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I admire all who can can. Eh... well, you know what I mean. :D I've tried several times but with little success and my mother gave up on me in the end. She claims I'm short of patience. I think she's right.

12. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Wow!!! your pantry is amazing and so are you.

13. waretrop

Thank you. I love my pantry and the thought that I can feed many people in an emergency for quite a while. I wound up canning 4 quarts of bacon and it is yum...Tasted the scraps as it was going into the jars.

Tomorrow I will do the broth from what I save in the bottom of my freezer. As the year goes on I save chicken parts and , and beef, ham and pork and bones to make broth to can. It's cooling to take off the fat and will be canned tomorrow morning.

Very tired today....

14. waretrop

[​IMG]
    bacon 2014

[​IMG]
    bacon 2014

Canned, cooled, rings washed, labeled, and on the shelf. All before 3 AM. Now to finish the broth. The last time I canned bacon I used brown parchment paper. Not realizing that it looked yukky. It didn't change the taste of it. This time I just happened to have white parchment paper and it really looks better. Probably tastes the same also. LOL

15. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are ham, chicken, pork, turkey, sausage broth that I canned today. 15 pints and 4 half pints.

I don't like anything going to waste so I saved all the fat that I took off the broth and made it into suet for the birds. Nothing got wasted....

Next week I will make some kraut.

Frank likes this.